Views and Group View Organization

Hello All,

I have spent the better part of the day googling and trying to find an answer to the issue I am having and I have had no luck. I am new to Home Assistant and am using it to replace my current third-party system (slowly).

I am setting up my groups and views based on what needs to be where. My question/issue is that when I create a view and toss in say 2 groups they are stacked in a line one on top of the other. I want them to look more like the normal home screen where the groups are in columns. Am I missing a setting or directive somewhere?

Version: 1.3.1
Hardware: RPi 3 with Aeotec Z-Wave Stick
Access: WebUI and Mobile App

That’s something you can’t control. You can control the order, which will determine where they go. But if home assistant thinks it cannot fit a second column, it will not fit a second column.

I’m pretty sure it puts everything in a vertical until it needs a second column to fit an object. Once it needs the second column, it will start throwing things over there.

EDIT: There is a method to the madness, but it’s something you shouldn’t worry about. If you REALLY want to change it, you need to move to a custom ui. You have alittle more control with lovelace:

If you don’t like that, you could try this new tile UI that a guy recently built. It is more complicated to setup though:

And lastly, you could always move to appdaemon and it’s dashboard:

http://appdaemon.readthedocs.io/en/latest/INSTALL.html

petro,

Thank you very much for the useful information! I do like what I see with the Lovelace UI and I am impressed with the tiles, especially since I would like to get a dashboard going as a “home overview” type display. I greatly appreciate the help and information about how Hass organizes itself.