Viper Smart Start?

So I’ve been able to use my Viper vsm550 with both smartthings [Release] Vehicle Remote Start (SmartStart) Integration - #241 by guarddog13 - Devices & Integrations - SmartThings Community

And on Hubitat a Dev there migrated my the ST code to HE. Any chance anyone knows if this can migrated here.

Viper/Directed are a walled garden.

I have found this…any ideas how I could work this into Home Assistant?

You could possibly do something with curl commands and a command line switch. You would just have to fool around with the urls (the ones used in the GitHub you linked) and see what the responses are. I’m sure there are a few people here that have a better understanding that might be able to direct you a little better. The only curl commands I use are very basic… but usually with stuff like that there will be a way to format the URL to include the username /api key etc. Also it may be possible to figure it out by seeing how that component is building the URLs

Thanks for finding this lol. I use curl a bit here and there but usually just for -q commands and with apis that are documented with directions. Viper/Directed refreshes your token on a regular basis. The more I use HA the more I’m learing but this is beyond my skill level currently. I hope someone can help. I did see on FB that someone was able to get it to work along with Node Red. I’m fairly familar with Node Red so if I’m led in the right direction might be able to get it to work.

I paid the dev who helped me on Hubitat I’d be willing to pay anyone for their time if they could assist with this. I live in a typically very very cold climate and remote start is a necessity lol. I see Drone Mobile has a HACS integration. Maybe I’ll pull the Viper out and put the Drone Mobile in my truck.

I found this also, I’m sure you may have seen it also. But possibly if it works still you could try having HA just call the python script with different commands, one of those being to populate a sensor for current state…

That api is actually depreciated. It was for their old 3G modules. That one was really nice cause the token etc didn’t refresh.

I’m curious how to find broadcast intents. Hmmm…that might be easier… With a broadcast intent I could send the commands via automations directily to the phone app.

Have you ever looked into Tasker? If you have an android device it will allow you interact with certain apps, press buttons… then you can use Home Assistant to trigger those actions

But as you mentioned the broadcast intents You may be able to bring up logs using ADB that would show you the command after pressing the buttons

I found an app that parses the android manifest and found a way to get what I use on hubitat to work. You have to have the widget from the app on the phone but it’s really quick that way. They apparently support the broadcast intent through the widget. I don’t see the commands in the manifest for the actual app commands or they didn’t make the commands obvious. I looked in adb and whew sooo much info at once lol.

Tasker works so I’m assuming I can get it to work through the HA companion app command_activity.

There is a way to filter that log output in ADB but I do not remember it off hand… it was a couple years ago. If I can find it I will update here.

Edit: I think maybe I was remembering using this looking for an event for something … but again it was years ago so I could be way off

Any idea how to get The command_broadcast_intent past DND?

service: notify.mobile_app_yourphonehere
data:
  title: com.directed.android.smartstart.intent.action.SEND_UNLOCK_COMMAND
  data:
    channel: com.directed.android.smartstart

Nevermind…got it…just had to give general home assistant notifications access to DND.

The actual app has the intent blocked. When you tap the button in the app it comes up as .activity.PACKAGE_CHANGED. They must not of thought to keep their widget blocked. Meh a work around is a workaround. The gentleman from FB who has it setup said he’ll assist when he gets back from a vaca lol. This is a decent workaround until then or if he doesn’t help lol.

1 Like

Glad to see someone worked on this. I read through your tutorial on setting up your own server. What did you do after that to get the stuff into HA? what capabilities where you able to get from it?

Good day. I have been using my Smart Start with IFTTT and WebCore through a smart app from github integrated into smartthings IDE for a couple years. I do believe those smart apps and smartthings IDE is no longer working, as my integration doesn’t work anymore and I did read that they were shutting down. I’d like to re-integrate my Smart Start again with Smartthings somehow. Anyone know how I can do that now? I use SharpTools now as well, but I’m quite unfamiliar yet with how to create rules and such in there. Is there a way to create another smart app or something in which to integrate it into Smartthings again? Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Once you have the links working in step 21 you can then create entities in HA. You get all the capabilites of the API. The below is what I have in my config.yaml.

rest:
  - authentication: basic
    scan_interval: 3600
    resource: "http://localhost:8081/vip.php?apiKey=PASSHERE&cmd=req_extended_status"
    sensor:
      - name: "Ram Pickup"
        value_template: "{{ value_json.results.device.deviceStatus.ignitionOn }}"
        json_attributes_path: "$.results.device.deviceStatus"
        json_attributes:
          - "doorsLocked"
          - "doorsOpen"
          - "remoteStarterActive"
          - "securitySystemTriggered"
          - "securitySystemArmed"
          - "dtcCodePresent"
      - name: "Ram Latitude"
        value_template: "OK"
        json_attributes_path: "$.results.device"
        json_attributes: 
          - "latitude"
      - name: "Ram Longitude"
        value_template: "OK"
        json_attributes_path: "$.results.device"
        json_attributes: 
          - "longitude"
rest_command:
  lock_the_ram:
    url: "http://localhost:8081/vip.php?apiKey=PASSHERE&cmd=arm_status"
  unlock_the_ram:
    url: "http://localhost:8081/vip.php?apiKey=PASSHERE&cmd=disarm_status"
  remote_start_ram:
    url: "http://localhost:8081/vip.php?apiKey=PASSHERE&cmd=remote_status"

switch:
  - platform: template
    switches:
      ram_remote:
        friendly_name: Ram Truck
        value_template: >
          {{ state_attr('sensor.ram_pickup', 'remoteStarterActive') or False }}
        turn_on:
         - service: 'rest_command.remote_start_ram'
         - delay:
             milliseconds: 1000
         - service: switch.turn_off
           target:
             entity_id: switch.ram_remote
         - delay: 
             milliseconds: 2000
         - service: 'homeassistant.update_entity'
           target:
             entity_id: sensor.ram_pickup
        turn_off:
         - service: switch.turn_off
           target:
             entity_id: switch.ram_remote
lock: 
  - platform: template
    name: Ram Doors
    value_template: >
      {{ state_attr('sensor.ram_pickup', 'doorsLocked') or False }}
    lock:
      - service: 'rest_command.lock_the_ram'
      - delay:
          milliseconds: 3000
        target:

unlock: 
      - service: 'rest_command.unlock_the_ram'
      - delay:
          milliseconds: 3000
        target:

Hi Ken, LTNS. Try going through the tutorial in post #13. Once you get the links working in step 21 then you’ll have your own SmartStart server. If you put the codes form post #17 in your config.yaml on HA then it should populate the locks and switches as entities for you.