Virtual Devices. Adding main virtual devices

Is it possible to make the main devices in HA (lights, switches, sensors, etc.) virtual, and then just connect physical ones to them?
For example, to quickly replace devices, without overwriting automation, without losing history (especially if exporting to another database), etc.
I understand that this does not apply to all physical devices.
I also understand that with such an implementation, it is difficult to handle additional functions, such as attributes, etc.
But still, this would greatly simplify HA programming after replacing devices.
It would also for example, eliminate the need to apply the platform “Light Switch” ( which is virtual “Light”, but with a narrow features).
It would also solve many customize problem without use of “Customize”.
This would probably also simplify debugging.
I do not propose to do all management only through virtual devices.
I suggest just giving this opportunity.
I think this will greatly expand the capabilities of the already magnificent Home Assistant.

Who cares, vote me!

How about giving the new device the same entity_id as the old one had? No need to change any automations or anything.

PLUS! - Ability to override/create new entities from a device (Polymorphic device) - Example: Inovelli has cool LEDs, they aren’t exposed as a device w a state and require a service call, would be nice if the LED showed up as a real device/entity.

EDs, aren’t exposed as a device w a state and require a service call

I’m not sure I follow you what you mean. The light itself is certainly exposed as a device and it requires a service call to interact with it. What do you want to do with the LED that would not require a service call?

As for the virtual device feature request itself, there is a custom virtual device component available on HACS.

1 Like