Virtual Instance (VmWare ESXi)

Has anyone put there HA instance on a virtual machine? Wondering if there are any issues that I haven’t thought of or headaches with a virtual instance. Should be an easy setup, unless I am missing something.

I am in the process of setting up a bare metal ESXi server to run what I have dispersed to a couple of machines. It will run…

Home Assistant (likely on ubuntu server or mint)
PFsense (Router/Firewall)
FreeNAS (network storage)

If anyone is interested I can document the process and how it works out in the end.

1 Like

i run HA in a docker, on an ubuntu server vm, inside of ESXi, no problems. Honestly wouldn’t run HA any other way than inside a docker as moving versions is so easy.

1 Like

I’m running it on a Hyper-V Cluster with virtualenv on Ubuntu 16.
Works pretty cool.
Personally I would separate pfSense from hass as it contains non trusted traffic on the same host

1 Like

Thanks, the ESXi host will run on one NIC and the pfsense will run on two other NICs. Should be able to keep them isolated with some firewall rules. Since I added a 4 port NIC to the box I might even put HA on its own port of the NIC which would allow for a lot of isolation and specific rules.

Only thought I have on this setup is USB passthrough - if you need to connect any USB devices to HA. I use ESXi at work but have never setup a passthrough device.

2 Likes

Good thought. I don’t use any USB devices but I will look into making this work. I have stayed away from Zwave thus far but may want it in the future.

Finally got this setup. Works just like a bare metal instance.

On thing that doesn’t work us having HA pull the CPU temp, not sure it will be able to.

Setup is simple and if you have a box running 24/7 HA needs very little power so split it and run something else handy.

I am passing through a USB zwave stick to the vm and into docker. No issues with that either.

1 Like

I am running ESXI on one of the cheap HP micro servers (money back deal ATM) with a Unbunti VM running docker with 2 containers, one for own tracks and another for HASS. I am using passthru for the Z-Stick and it works great.

Docker reduces upgrading to a 2 command process.

I am also using the HP ILO sensor to monitor the server that the whole lot is running on plus the inlet fan temp as a easy room temperature sensor.

I started playing around a while ago with an integration for docker.

Hello,
I am new to ESXi and would like your how to to get started, Have you had any chance to document your setup, Can you share your thoughts now that you have completed the process.
Anil

Do you have ESXi installed?

How familiar are you with Linux? How about the command line?

I have really liked the move to a virtual instance. Better hardware for HA to run on and as its on ESXi I can do everything from any computer in my house that I need to, either through ssh or using the web based tool from VMWare.

I am very comfortable with Linux, is my main desktop OS for the last 15 years, no prob with CLI.

I missed that part, No I don’t have ESXi installed. I run HA/MythTV/Kodi and everything else in a small but powerful computer(Built by myself following an HTPC guide) that is connected to the TV right now.
I am planning to move my server parts to a blade later. Do you have any suggestion of hardware to run ESXi ?

Hi,

Are you running ESXi 6.5? No problems with the USB passthrough in ESXi? I have both a z-wave and RFXTRX usb devices that needs to run flawlessly. I’ve heard rumours that USB and VM’s can be challenging.

Thanks!

@cannfoddr stated above that the USB pass through was easy, I would default to him as I am not passing any USB through on my instance.

Since you are familiar with linux and I assume have a favorite distro I would find the server version of that distro as they are extremely light weight. I love seeing a VM running with MB of RAM used vs. GB.

ESXi itself is very light weight. More importantly for the hardware to choose would be the demands of the VMs you are going to be running. Add extra RAM also as each VM take a bit of RAM for overhead and it gets eaten up quickly with multiple VMs running.

Your CPU will need hardware virtualization (Intel VT-x or AMD RVI). More detailed requirements are here.

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1003661

Hey guys,

I just setup a virtual enviorment and want to move ha to it, Ive bought too many sd cards…

It sounds like using docker is the way to go in this case? Im familiar with linux but havent messed with docker really. Would you mind sharing some of the steps you would take…are you using hassbian to install or all in one? I was planning on running it on ubuntu 16 is that recommended?

thanks!!

Just a little more background…Ive installed ha the manual way on ubuntu 16. It seems like Im getting some networking issues, looking at the log its unable to install any packages. I see those traceback errors.