Virtual machine fails to boot

I’m trying to install Home-Assistant-Supervised on Ubuntu Linux.

That doesn’t seem to be possible, so I followed the instructions at Linux - Home Assistant to install a virtual machine.

I installed Virtualbox 7.0, and downloaded the .vdi file from the above link. I configured the virtual machine per the instructions, but get the following error:

How can I proceed? I tried the standard version of HA, but that doesn’t include the Addons, so I deleted it.

Check your system settings

afbeelding

EFI enabled, secure boot disabled

The only OS you can install Supervised on is Debian, no derivatives. As per these very proscriptive requirements: architecture/adr/0014-home-assistant-supervised.md at 8631a749058299f2b309226e1afd508ae5c12cc2 · home-assistant/architecture · GitHub

The Supervised installation method is usually never the best install method to choose. However…

That is Home Assistant OS in a VM, not the Supervised install method. Home Assistant OS does include the supervisor though, so you will have access to add-ons.

What exactly is the “standard version”?

The main reason I’m trying the “supervisor” version is to get access to the add-ons. If there’s an easier way, please let me know or point to good explanation.
Thanks

Yeah I understand that. All I was doing was pointing out that you are not performing a Supervised install, trying to get you to use the correct terminology to avoid confusion.

“Home Assistant Supervised Install” refers to a very specific installation method that includes everything except Home Assistant OS.

The method you are using includes Home Assistant OS (and the supervisor).

If you’re not wedded to VirtualBox, I would strongly recommend Proxmox instead. The GUI for VirtualBox runs on the machine, whereas you use a browser from anywhere for Proxmox. And there’s a Proxmox helper script to create a VM containing Home Assistant that does all the work for you.

1. I haven’t heard of Proxmox. Is it a virtual environment I can run under Ubuntu Linux? Can you point me to some discussions of this technique?
  2. Which is your script to which you are referring? There are several on the page you reference.

Proxmox (PVE) is the virtualisation platform - it is the OS and you create VMs in it. So rather than installing Ubuntu plus a hypervisor, you just install Proxmox. It has a web-based UI from where you create new VMs. There are lots on YouTube tutorials on installing Proxmox and then Home Assistant.

The script is the second in the list - Home Assistant.

Under Home Assistant (2nd in list, as you pointed out), there are 5 scripts:

• Home Assistant Container LXC
  • Home Assistant Core LXC
  • Home Assistant OS VM
  • PiMox HAOS VM
  • Podman Home Assistant Container LXC

What’s the metal box you are planning to run Proxmox?

And if you read the descriptions of each of those choices / scripts, combined with the answer above, you would know what to pick.

That’s largely because HA has multiple install options. I would recommend Home Assistant OS VM as that’s the most common install method.