"Virtual Switch" to control multiple devices?

Hi all,

I’m sure this has been asked a number of times in the past, but I’m not exactly sure of the terminology so my searching has drawn a blank.

I’m coming back to HA from Hubitat and the one thing I’m missing is the concept of a “virtual switch”.

Under Hubitat I exposed multiple virtual switches to my Amazon Echo so a single command, such as “Alexa, Good Evening”, would set LED strips to certain colours, turn on some lights, turn off others etc.

“Alexa, Good Night”, would then trigger another virtual switch that would turn the evening switch “off”, as well as turning off various lights etc. and arming alarm systems.

So far, it feels like Scenes are the way to go with this, however what I’ve noticed from playing around with scenes is that they don’t appear to toggle. I seem to need one scene to turn on various lights, and then a second scene to turn the same lights off again.

As we start to finish the building work and Home Assistant starts to play a bigger role in how we interact with our house, the need to mute speakers at night, turn off appliances, and control lights depending on time of day or mood is going to increase, and I don’t really want to have to add every single device to every single scene!

I’m convinced that I’m just holding this wrong, is there a good guide on achieving these kinds of levels of automation?

A template switch can do this:

I believe light group can also make this possible as for switch just change it into light?

Light Group - Home Assistant (home-assistant.io)

Light Switch - Home Assistant (home-assistant.io)

Thanks, I’ll check that out!

Possibly, I’ll investigate however I’m also trying to make sure the garage door is closed, tv is off, soundbars/speakers are on mute etc, so it extends past just lights.

Then poslund already give the right anwser then.