Virtual Z-wave devices to add to node group

Some Z-wave devices have the ability to send ON/OFF commands to other devices via node groups option. I want to intercept these commands with Home Assistant.

I can add USB Stick to the control group, but issue is that all I receive is “Received ON command from node 77”. If controlling device has multiple switches, I cannot detect which switch was triggered, I can only know that some switch wanted to turn the controller ON.

So I was wondering if there is a way to add virtual Z-wave devices that would basically just serve as receiver for ON/OFF commands from other nodes? I would need multiple virtual devices to distinguish between different commands.

2 Likes

@matejdro I’m looking to the very same thing and have been searching the net high and low but can’t find anything.

Can anyone HELP !!!

by default, OZW adds itself to the lifeline group on all devices. This should report any state change on a device.

To figure out what switch sent the change, you should be looking at the instance value.

@Fishwaldo Can you please explain his more.

You should read up on Z-Wave Association Groups. They are basically a list of nodes that receive updates from a device when some state changes.

“Lifeline” (or Group 0) is a group on each Z-Wave Plus device that sends updates of all state. As long as the controller is in the lifeline group, HA would get updates to the state change of a device. This is how HASS is able to reflect changes on a Device in the UI etc.

Right, but I’m talking about events, not state. For example you can wire two physical switches to Aeotec Nano Dimmer, but it has no state for the separate switches. It only allows both switches to either control the light directly or to send EVENTS to any selected node (which results in OP’s problem)