VirtualBox Constant Rebooting

I’ve had an active install on VirtualBox for a few years now and its been fantastic, super stable. However in the last couple of months I’ve started to get more and more reboots to the extent now that in the last few days its reboot on average every 10 minutes.

Not afraid to admit I’m well out of my depth here but after a few days of troubleshooting I’m no further forward. General steps taken to date;

• Restored older HA backups
  • Restored older VB snapshots
  • Removed USB devices (zigbee and zwave sticks)
  • Disabled integrations
  • Disabled add-ons
  • Disabled other process on host Windows machine.
  • Checked (& failed to understand) logs.

However I’m no further forward at all so any pointers on what steps I should be taking here would be really appriciated before I end up back on SmartThings. (Joke, thats not happening!)

Below is a log extract that looks ‘interesting’ to me but I can’t really figure out whats going on. I disabled the mentioned integrations and still getting similar behaviour but struggling to pull of fresh logs as its rebooting so fast.

Thanks!

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/websocket_api/commands.py", line 239, in handle_call_service
    response = await hass.services.async_call(
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 2543, in async_call
    response_data = await coro
                    ^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 2580, in _execute_service
    return await target(service_call)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/notify/legacy.py", line 275, in _async_notify_message_service
    await self.async_send_message(**kwargs)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/mobile_app/notify.py", line 142, in async_send_message
    raise HomeAssistantError(
homeassistant.exceptions.HomeAssistantError: Device not connected to local push notifications
2024-04-30 23:38:49.243 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.denonavr.media_player] Timeout connecting to Denon AVR receiver at host 192.168.100.239. Device is unavailable
2024-04-30 23:38:52.453 WARNING (MainThread) [custom_components.robovac.tuyalocalapi.800151428cce4eea5f9a] 4 failures, backing off for 5.0 seconds
2024-04-30 23:38:52.541 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.entity] Update of media_player.dining_room_monitor is taking over 10 seconds
2024-04-30 23:38:55.702 WARNING (MainThread) [custom_components.robovac.tuyalocalapi.433566088caab5da11d3] 6 failures, backing off for 14.488105088000001 seconds
2024-04-30 23:38:56.276 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant] Error doing job: Task exception was never retrieved
  File "/config/custom_components/roomba/__init__.py", line 114, in async_disconnect_or_timeout
    await hass.async_add_executor_job(roomba.disconnect)
asyncio.exceptions.CancelledError

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/config/custom_components/roomba/__init__.py", line 64, in _async_disconnect_roomba
    await async_disconnect_or_timeout(hass, roomba)
  File "/config/custom_components/roomba/__init__.py", line 113, in async_disconnect_or_timeout
    async with async_timeout.timeout(3):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/site-packages/async_timeout/__init__.py", line 141, in __aexit__
    self._do_exit(exc_type)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/site-packages/async_timeout/__init__.py", line 228, in _do_exit
    raise asyncio.TimeoutError
TimeoutError
2024-04-30 23:38:56.281 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant] Error doing job: Task exception was never retrieved
  File "/config/custom_components/roomba/__init__.py", line 114, in async_disconnect_or_timeout
    await hass.async_add_executor_job(roomba.disconnect)
asyncio.exceptions.CancelledError

File "/config/custom_components/roomba/__init__.py", line 64, in _async_disconnect_roomba
    await async_disconnect_or_timeout(hass, roomba)
  File "/config/custom_components/roomba/__init__.py", line 113, in async_disconnect_or_timeout
    async with async_timeout.timeout(3):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/site-packages/async_timeout/__init__.py", line 141, in __aexit__
    self._do_exit(exc_type)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/site-packages/async_timeout/__init__.py", line 228, in _do_exit
    raise asyncio.TimeoutError
TimeoutError
2024-04-30 23:38:57.032 WARNING (Thread-65 (_do_shutdown)) [homeassistant.util.executor] Thread[SyncWorker_0] is still running at shutdown: File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/threading.py", line 1030, in _bootstrap
    self._bootstrap_inner()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/threading.py", line 1073, in _bootstrap_inner
    self.run()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/threading.py", line 1010, in run
    self._target(*self._args, **self._kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 89, in _worker
    work_item = work_queue.get(block=True)
2024-04-30 23:38:57.043 CRITICAL (SyncWorker_0) [concurrent.futures] Exception in worker
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 82, in _worker
    work_item = work_queue.get_nowait()
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
_queue.Empty

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 89, in _worker
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
SystemExit
2024-04-30 23:38:57.052 WARNING (Thread-65 (_do_shutdown)) [homeassistant.util.executor] Thread[SyncWorker_25] is still running at shutdown: File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/threading.py", line 1030, in _bootstrap
    self._bootstrap_inner()
    self.run()
2024-04-30 23:38:57.125 WARNING (Thread-65 (_do_shutdown)) [homeassistant.util.executor] Thread[SyncWorker_5] is still running at shutdown: File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/threading.py", line 1030, in _bootstrap
    self._bootstrap_inner()
    self.run()
2024-04-30 23:38:57.150 WARNING (Thread-65 (_do_shutdown)) [homeassistant.util.executor] Thread[SyncWorker_13] is still running at shutdown: File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/threading.py", line 1030, in _bootstrap
    self._bootstrap_inner()
    self.run()

Have you recently updated VirtualBox?

Sorry should have mentioned that. No I hadn’t.

I was running 7.0.6 for pretty much a year without issue. Have gone to 7.0.14 now but no change to the problem.

If you search VirtualBox you’ll see there has been a rash of recent issues with VB. VirtualBox is even warning on their download site not to upgrade to 7.0.16.

VMWare appears to be a lot more stable than VirtualBox and may be the way to go.

I did see that hence sticking to .14 instead of .16. Annoyingly was on VMware but has USB issues I couldn’t resolve but that was quite a while back now.

Maybe it’s time to jump to Proxmox instead but could really do with a shortterm fix so I can work on that later.

Just find it really weird how it’s slowly got worse and doesn’t seem to be tied to any specific event. I really expected restoring snapshots/backups to solve things.

I wish I could help more. I abandon VB because of it’s stability issues. I keep a test machine alive, but haven’t experienced the issue you are having. Keep the thread open, with multiple comments it should get some more visibility.

If I see another thread with similar issues I’ll post it here.

I had USB issues with VB and moved to VMware - works like a treat now.

Maybe, for starters, allocate some more memory to the VM.