Vizio SmartCast

So, very interested in trying this out but I just moved to Hass.io and I thought when using that (Hass.io) we no longer have access to do pip3 install which is required by the Vizio integration. Anyone know a way around this?

This is my biggest head ache with hass.io. 700+ components on the website and no way to know if the are hass.io compatible. How about a simple table view with checkmarks for hass.io compatibility. I think many in the home assistant community are not yet familiar with hass.io, or they think it is just a new interface. If you ask, they will say “There’s a component for that” and when you look it up, you need a cli masters degree.

Why don’t you suggest this in a PM to Fabaff and Robbie? :wink:

1 Like

For you Hass.io users like me wanting to use this component.

I was thinking about this today at work and realized that the pyvizio component doesn’t really do anything but manage the paring process and once you have your authorization token it’s good for anyplace you want to use it. So I grabbed a spare Raspberry Pi, installed pyvizio, and followed the component instructions to get the token. Then I just plugged the Vizio TV’s IP address and the token I got from my 2nd Pi into the config file on my Hass.io primary Pi, restarted and Bob’s your uncle!

Then I went ahead and built a IFTTT applet connecting my google assistant (listening for “turn off the boob tube”) to a webhook and replaced /switch/turn_off from the examples with /media_player/turn_off it works great. No more using the remote to turn off the TV after casting. Happy days.

1 Like

thanks for sharing i follow the paring process but i get error on this line
pip3 install -I .
i get the following error i hope you can help

Directory '.' is not installable. File 'setup.py' not found.
Storing debug log for failure in /root/.pip/pip.log

I was just looking over the install instructions, and I’m not sure what that line of the instructions is for. I get the same error, but the pyvizio command was still available for me, despite that error. @vkorn, is it possible that’s not required for the install?

You need cli only to obtain token. If you’re using hassio, you can ssh into host and attach to hass docker. Or use your laptop for it :slight_smile:

@Kem

Directory ‘.’ is not installable. File ‘setup.py’ not found.

Make sure you’re into repo folder or use pip3 install pyvizio instead – I’ve uploaded it a a package

Heads up! New Vizio firmware in Beta with AirPlay and Homekit support… I.e . ver 2.18.5SEM.

HA does not support TVs and a device Class for Homekit but I tries to pair and returns an error if discovery for homekit is enabled. .

Well it looks like the Vizio Beta Firmware is now the official firmware, I was surprised and a bit excited to see my TV pop up as a new device. Unfortunatly, like the comment from @pg.sylvestre back in May, it does not pair. It does try though, it does display a pairing code, just does not accecpt it.

Anyone know if there is any movement on adding tv to the homekit device classes in the future?

It accepted my code, make sure your formatting it correctly xxx-xx-xxx

Mine comes up with two 4 digit numbers on top of each other for my vizio. I’ll try breaking it up though. So you have full control with HA as the home hit controller?

I haven’t finished setting it up but it’s pair’d.

I have mine paired as well. Curious as to what controls are available using home kit. Please share what you figure out.

Thanks

Thanks fr the tip, it added but there are not any entities because there is not yet any support for the TV device type in the homekit controller.

If you have not already done so I recommend voting for that feature to be added

Anyone want to share their lovelace card.
Trying to set up a remote like card for my vizio.

@firebass88, did you ever find or figure out how to build a remote card for your Vizio? I’ve recently gotten one of these and I’m struggling with the integration using the vizio.update_setting service to do most anything including turning it on. I’ve got the integration properly integrated and I can control it via pyvizio.

Thank.

No have not figured much out with it.

The vizio model seems to limited but I might not be looking at the right stuff.

The only problem I’m having with the Offical integration is that I can only turn my tv on to Smartcast and I don’t use that… I have Shield tv and want the tv to turn on to HDMI3 … anyway to do that?

Sure, just use a select source service call:

service: media_player.select_source
target:
  entity_id: media_player.vizio_smartcast
data:
  source: HDMI-3

This is what I have in my config but it’s not working it just keeps turning on Cast

vizio:
  - host: 192.168.1.xxx:7345
    access_token: xxxxxxxxxx
    name: My LV TV
    device_class: tv
    volume_step: 1
    service: media_player.select_source
    target:
      entity_id: media_player.vizio_smartcast
    data:
      source: HDMI-3

Suggestions? Thank you!