Vizio TV Question

I have done everything correctly and gotten back all the info I needed to do this but I keep getting this: ALL the info is correct…

What am I missing?

OH and now I’m getting this…

Thanks all!

Ok so now i get the access token but the pin number doesn’t show up … LOL I’m just going to take you all on this journey with me… and the LESSONS of NOT following instructions correctly… :wink:

Just like magic if you do ALL the steps it works out great… I didn’t do the last one… this one

pyvizio --ip={ip:port} --device_type={device_type} pair-finish --token={challenge_token} --pin={pin} --ch_type={challenge_type}

If you don’t do that… it’s not going to work… you need the AUTH TOKEN you get at the end…

SO to new people go here → VIZIO SmartCast - Home Assistant

Read ALL the instructions and follow ALL the steps and just like that you have a Vizio integration that works…

Thank you all… I’m here all week :wink:

Where do you run this script? Is it from somewhere inside the HA UI?

No a terminal window outside of HA. On a Windows10 machine :slight_smile:

This is what I put in my config but the input_select section isn’t working… it just keeps turning on and opening ‘Cast’…

vizio:
  - host: 192.168.1.xxx:7345
    access_token: xxxxxxxxxx
    name: My LV TV
    device_class: tv
    volume_step: 1
    service: media_player.select_source
    target:
      entity_id: media_player.vizio_smartcast
    data:
      source: HDMI-3

I’m not sure what config you’re putting that in, or why you’re specifying the IP address or access token? I don’t have to do that with any of my Vizio TVs…

Once the TV shows up in the SmartCast integration, you’re finished. Then you can manage it (power, volume, source, etc) the same as any other media player entity.

You can also connect to the TVs using HomeKit if the SmartCast integration is giving you a hard time. Just add the HomeKit integration and they should be auto-discovered.

I put that in my main config as I have no idea where to put it… I thought I’d add it to my config but I can see I don’t even need the info in my config…

The learning curve is harsh LOL Just gonna have to give up on this one… have no idea where to put anything at this point.

Thank you!

Nah, don’t give up.

But for starters, if you’re that ‘lost’, I guess, tell us what you’re trying to make it do? Yes, I know, you want it to turn on and apparently select HDMI3, but… When do you want it to do that? Or are you wanting to be able to make it do it on demand, or… ??

No a friend of mine from Norway is having a bit of mercy on me and is helping me :slight_smile:
Basically what I did was create a group to turn on 4 things at once… the problem started
when you turn on a Vizio tv like that it defaults to ‘Cast’ and I needed it to start in “HDMI-3”…
I did get this from someone →

service: media_player.select_source
target:
  entity_id: media_player.vizio_smartcast
data:
  source: HDMI-3

Which with the Vizio intregration would work… except I have NO idea what to even do with that. That’s been the problem. So the group I created works except the TV HDMI-3 part…

Even tried HomeKit but I will NEVER do that again LOL I’m not an Apple person so that had to go.

1 Like

I’m not an Apple person either - but you don’t have to be. There’s a homekit controller integration in HA that can handle that for you.

Regardless, what it sound like to me (assuming I understand your goal properly) is that you want the TV to be on HDMI-3 every time you turn it on. Is that correct?

If so, then just create an automation using the power state of the TV as the trigger, and have it change the source to HDMI-3 for you in the action. Then, every time you turn it on, no matter from where (part of the group, or directly, or using the remote, whatever), it will always change the source to HDMI-3.

When I started working with HA, I used the UI to do most things, then I went back and looked at the code the UI created for me. This made it much easier to understand what was going on - and how things had to be formatted for them to work. So, I just mocked up an automation for you. Here are the screenshots. Every time the TV turns on, HA will change the source to HDMI-3.

Hopefully this helps.

1 Like

WOW Thank you!!! It helps GREATLY!!! PS where do they get stored at?

If you don’t have HACS, add that to your HA install.

Then add Studio Code Server. It’s like a text editor.

The automations are in automations.yaml

automations

Yes sir was just saving it to a new Automation file :slight_smile:

As you are having trouble with Vizio tv won’t connect to wifi, so to fix this, you can enable DHCP on your Vizio smart TV. This can be done by using your remote to choose the option of Menu, tap on the Network tab and pick the option of Manual Setup. Then select the option of DHCP and ensure that it’s switched on. In case it’s on, toggle it to Disabled, then enable it once again. If it’s disabled now you can toggle it to Enabled. You can also go for the option of factory reset your Vizio smart TV by using your remote to choose the option of Menu, pick the option that states System and then go to Reset & Admin. In the end, reset TV factory settings to resove the error.

I took a slightly different approach, lots of details and code here https://github.com/kbrown01/Vizio_DirecTV