VLAN setup with mixed device enviroment

So i am looking to organize my network better by separating my IoT devices into a separate VLAN. I am using an OPNsense router with Unifi switch and APs.

My setup is really a mix of everything, so I’m using

• ESPHome devices
  • some non-ESP Tuya devices that can’t be flashed by Tasmota/Esphome that i want to use both by the Tuya app as by the localTuya integration
  • Shelly devices with stock FW
  • Yeelight / Xiaomi MIIO lights
  • also some Zigbee devices (probably not relevant for VLAN setup)

My question is:
1) What firewall strategy should i use for different devices groups?
I really don’t want to separate them into multiple VLANs, but my devices are really a mixed bunch.

• ESPHome and Shelly devices can probably work just fine locally and don’t need internet, but need to see home assistant.
  • Tuya devices need to communicate with their cloud AND HA for the LocalTuya integration.
  • Yeelights probably need internet access temporarily until enabling LAN control on them.
  • Xiaomi MIIO lights seem to be controlled over the cloud by the MIIO integration (?) so probably cloud access is needed

So far i think enabling my IoT VLAN to connect to specific HA and ESPHome ports and the internet would be the solution, however initially i wanted to restrict internet access as much as possible. Also I want to access all my IoT devices WebUIs from my devices on the LAN network (desktop PC, laptop, phone, iPad). I understand this should work, as LAN-> VLAN access is not restricted.

2) How do i reset my Yeelight / MIIO lights to update their SSID?
They are hardwired and not connected to a switch, so i can’t just turn them on/off 5 times to put them in pairing mode. Probaly less a problem for Yeelights that can pair via bluetooth, but for the ESP8266 based MIIO lights that will be an issue

3) I am having some trouble with ESPHome devices connecting
For testing I have put a few ESPHome devices on the IoT VLAN/SSID. They use the same config, but one device is not reachable via hostname, only by IP address. The configuration is the same, pulling the domain name from the secrets.yaml file.

Check out the video’s by The Hookup on YouTube.

i’ve seen that video, but i really don’t like the idea of setting up that many separate SSIDs. furthermore my VLAN started to refuse connections altogether, disconecting connected devices and refusing new ones, so i need to thinker with this a lot more still…

What is the problem with setting up separate VLAN’s ? I’ve a similar setup here, and I absolutely love the simplicity.