VMDK wont progress past "random: crng init done"

Having issues with the VMDK.

Here is what I have done so far.

1. Created a new VM in Workstation (Ubuntu-x64, 10GB storage, 1GB RAM, bridged network, enabled UEFI).
  2. Attached the VMDK.
  3. It powers on and gets to the “random: crng init done” and then sits there. I have left it running for over an hour and it still doesn’t progress. Pressing enter does nothing.

What am I doing wrong?

I want to convert this and put it in ESXi 6.7 but I can’t even get the thing working in WS.

Can we get some better documentation on getting the VMDK image working instead of just “add it as a linux 64 and set it to UEFI instead of BIOS”. It doesn’t seem to “just work” so there has to be some additional instructions added.

Check this guide

https://www.ivobeerens.nl/2019/01/15/install-home-assistant-hass-io-in-vmware-workstation/

I have the same issue using Vmware Fusion on Mac OS all Latest versions. I have tried almost everything and nothing works. The tutorial linked by Ma7amed does not work at all on Vmware Fusion Pro 11.5.5. Why is this VM not booting???

I have installed Home Assistant in a VM linux as per the instructions for the supervised and it works but as mentioned, there is no support anymore for this.
I have installed Home Assistant in a VM Raspbian as per the instructions for the Core install and it works but there is no add-ons.
I have installed Home Assistant in docker on my Synology NAS and it works but there is no add-ons.

The only thing not working is the VM, I don’t have a raspberry Pi but I do have a Virtual environment. Did anyone got it working properly with a current version of Vmware as of July 2020?

Well actually, I did not try everything… I found the solution by trying to boot that VM using ESXi 6.7U2

There is a bug in Vmware Fusion 11.5.5 which does not write the disk configuration properly when you change it from SCSI to IDE if a VM has already been started with an SCSI disk. It actually does not register the disk as being re-assigned to IDE instead of SCSI thus, the VM still tries to boot an incompatible disk namely the SCSI0 disk even if set to IDE.

It seems that the VM has been generated with an IDE virtual disk which is deprecated for a long time already so, when you try to boot the VM with Vmware ESX using the default settings (SCSI) for the attached disk, the VM refuses to boot, but if you stop it then set it to IDE, it boots!!

The solution when using Vmware Fusion 11.5.5 is to create the VM as follow:

• Create a personalized virtual machine
  • Select Linux —> CentOS 5 and previous versions 64 bits
  • select the vmdk file as existing disk
  • Click personalize settings and finish the setup without starting the VM

DO NOT START THE VM YET

• In the VM parameter:
    • Set the processor and Memory accordingly
    • Go to disk tab
    • In the disk advanced options, set the disk to IDE and click “Apply”
    • In the “Other” section of the main parameter panel, set the Boot disk to the IDE disk and in "Advanced, set the BIOS to “EFI”

The VM should boot properly.

2 Likes

Had the same issue. Confirmed this works with VM Workstation as well. You can set to IDE earlier in the configuration, but it works the same.