Voice assistant in ESPHome `media_player` bug - but `speaker` works

Lately, I’ve been playing with the i²s audio stuff A LOT in ESPHome. I’ve found some details that I posted here: Original yaml of the 13$ atom echo voice assist? - #37 by SpikeyGG a couple of months ago. Basically, the Atom Echo won’t say anything in response if it’s configured as a media_player instead of a speaker. Lately, I’ve been building my own microphone + speakers combo and I’m finding the same thing!

I think this is a bug in ESPHome. When I program the device as a speaker the voice assistant will respond verbally after executing the command I issued with my voice. When I program the device as a media_player everything seems to work until the response is supposed to be issued – then the actual speakers don’t play any voice.

Also, I can go into the developer options in HA and manually send TTS voice for the device to play and it works very well so I know that the equipment works for that, it’s just at the end of the voice assistant response where it breaks.

I think this is a bug in ESPHome… saw a mention of it earlier, but cannot find it now… Fix coming soon… :slight_smile:

Found it… Discord

Oh! Aweomse! Thank you so much. I see what you mean, jesserockz said:

oops, yeah theres a bug there. Lemme guess, you are not using a speaker ?

he said it’d be fixed in 10.1 and he shared the pull request: Fix voice_assistant without a speaker by jesserockz · Pull Request #5558 · esphome/esphome · GitHub

Thank you so much for the quick response @Fraddles

Link not working for me, what is the channel called?

1 Like