Voice Panel - Android Voice Assistant for Home Assistant built with Snips

Project Overview

I have been working on an Android based Voice Assistant using the Snips Voice Platform. It’s now in early beta and I wanted to share it with the community. Voice Panel is an Android Voice Assistant for Home Assistant powered by the Snips Voice Platform. Snips provides a private, powerful, and customizable voice assistant technology that processes all language input on the device, nothing is ever sent to the cloud.

Home Assistant

Voice Panel uses Snips as a voice interface for Home Assistant. At this time, you can control your alarm system, lights, windows, blinds, switches, check status, get the date/time, and retrieve the weather information. You initiate a conversation with Voice Panel by using speaking wake-word, “Hey, Snips”. Alternatively, you can use face detection to initiate a conversation simply by looking at the device.

Limitations

Currently the application has a few limitations. The Snips Android SDK does not work as a satellite. The Snips Android SDK does not support custom wake-words at this time.

Features

• Face activated wake-word (no need to say “Hey, Snips”).
  • Control Home Assistant components using voice commands (“Turn on the kitchen lights”).
  • Stream video, detect motion, detect faces, and read QR Codes.
  • Support for MQTT Alarm Panel Control to control your alarm system.
  • MQTT commands to remotely control the application (speak text, play audio, send notifications, alerts, etc.).
  • Device sensor data reporting over MQTT (temperature, light, pressure, battery, etc.).
  • MQTT Day/Night mode based on the sun value reported from Home Assistant.
  • MQTT weather data to display weather reported from Home Assistant.

Installation & Instructions

You can get the application either through the release section of the Github project page (side-loading) or you can join the beta program by becoming a beta tester through the Google Play store. The Github project page has instructions for adding intents to your Home Assistant for handling additional voice features of the application.

Github Project Page
Google Play Beta Testers

Screenshots

Issues

Remember this project is in early beta and you may encounter issues. Please use the issues page on Github to report problems.

Other Projects

Some of you may also already be using or aware of my previous Android projects for Home Assistant. If not, here are the links to the community pages:

WallPanel
Alarm Control Panel

7 Likes

Thanks a lot for share but little problem: Github link in your post points to your website and on your website github links give a 404 :frowning:

Very interesting, going to give it a try!

Thanks, fixed that link .

1 Like

I have released a new version on both Google Play and Github which includes Snips v0.60.2. It can be downloaded directly from Github or Google Play.

Thanks a million for this!

Will probably stay up till the wee hours talking to my home :slight_smile:

I use the great Wall Panel app and I’m also intrested in the Voice Panel. Is it possible to use both of them in parallel? Are you thinking about the fusion of these apps in the future?

Not sure what you mean by parallel. You can run them on two different tablets, but they would not run at the same time on a single device and work properly, they require to be the foremost application running on the device for interaction.

I love the concept. But why this application cannot use the native API instead of MQTT?

Nice project with sad news:

#NOTE: Snips was recently acquied by Sonos and they have decided that the future of the Snips platform will not be open and have closed the Snips console to the public. As a result, this application has been removed from Google Play and will no longer be developed.

More details inside blog entry: Sonos shutting down local voice option Snips

Yeah, I already removed the application from Google Play and will stop development. Sonos has pretty much decided to shut down all open source development or public access to Snips. I guess Snips just needed money after their failed attempt to make their own cryptocurrency and this was a way for them to get some money. Sad though, it had a lot of potential as a product and it had some nice hardware options.