Volvo On Call

Hi All,

I have some issues with Home Assistant related to Volvo On Call.
Since a month or so I have issues with the Volvo On Call integration.
HA was able to connect and setup the Volvo On Call entities. But when I restart Home Assistant (When I add another integration) Volvo On Call stops working an gives the error:
Unable to prepare setup for platform volvooncall.binary_sensor: Unable to set up component

this error for all sensors related to Volvo On Call.
To resolve the issue I need to delete the integration from the configuration. Restart Home Assistant, Reboot the Host. Then add the Volvo On Call integration again. Restart Home Assistant. 4 times out of 10 it start working again. Till the next Home Assistant Restart. Then all stops again.

Does anyone please give me some advice what to do next.

Kind regards
Robin Kluijt

Hi, I just got volvooncall installed for my new car and the only new entity that I get is the device tracker so perhaps there is an issue with th component itself. No errors in the logs so far though.

Hi RezzZ,

Indeed got the Volvo tracker as well. but an error for the sensors.
Hopefully Home Assistant can fix this issue. Look like the Volvo On Call api is unreachable.
Maybe something is blocking it on my end. Will have a look.

Kind regards
Robin

I put my component in debug mode and saw no errors regarding volvo on call. I got response back for the queries status, location and trips. Not sure why HA is only processing the location part. Perhaps the content of the status and trips message changed? But then I probably should have seen an error in the logs…

After updating Hassio to 0.99 my volvo entities were all back. But after a restart of home-assistant all entities are gone. I had them for 25 minutes.
What was changed? I just added the Pi-Hole sensor. Eventhough When I delete the pi-hole sensor Volvo is still not working.

Error in log:
ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Unable to prepare setup for platform volvooncall.binary_sensor: Unable to set up componen

I have the same issues. To me it looks like the platform has longer timeouts than the component in HA is allowing which results in 90% failures to connect to the service, and HA will not keep trying until there is a connection. Most of the time all sensors/locks/switches are gone. Today I’m lucky and it works but I restart HA quite often due to development reasons.

I’m running HA 0.100.0.dev20190927 now, stupid docker builds of HA/raspberry are tagging dev builds as latest… but thats another annoying issue.

Hi RezzZ,

Thanks for your reply. Good to hear I’m not the only one.
Sounds plausible indeed. Let’s hope HA or gives us the option to upscale the time out or they will do it for us in a new build.

Kind regards
Robin

Same problem here, is there a solution for the timeout problem?

Hi Oudetol,

This issue was solved after an upadte (not sure which version, because the changed the method of builds).
I have no issues any more.
My system is on core-2021.1.4 and supervisor-2021.01.5

I see often errors in the log for Volvo on Call. I suspect that this is a porblem with their servers. Sometimes they are not reachable and will time out.
Another reason could be that the app on your phone is connecting at the same time as HA. After some time HA tries to reconnect and then it will work again.

I am having this same issue and it is absolutely frustrating. I can see the data being parsed from the server, but it never updates in HA. I did the remove from my config, reboot, add, and reboot and got it to work again once, but then it broke again and won’t work.
Turned on Debug, it shows it supports a long list of sensors after contacting the server (responses are visible), but then goes on to list them like ths:
ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Unable to prepare setup for platform volvooncall.switch: Unable to set up component.

Is sensor fuel level working for you? My says unavailable.
The lock and heater sensor works perfect.

Hi Niklas,

At my end the Fuel level is working so is the fuel amount.
Does the Fuel amount works on your end?
Does your log file tells you anything?

Sometimes is helps to disable the sensor in the configuration.yaml. Reboot the host, enable the sensor again en reboot the host. Maybe it will connect again.

I recently tried adding this integration and I can’t seem to make it work. I’ve added the username, password, and region to configuration.yaml file, tried restarting HA, and nothing seems to be happening. The integration does not show up, nor do any devices or entities. Any suggestions?

Hi jeremyjaytaylor,

Are there any messages in the log file?
There is no integration app in home assistant. Just add the volvooncall with the credentials to your configuraion.yaml. The region is only for Noth America and China customers.
When the Home Assistant service is restart the entities should apear.
Maybe the log file will give you any note of where to look?

Thanks for the response @rkluijt. Strangely, there does not seem to be an error message in the log, HA just seems to be ignoring the new volvooncall configuration.yaml entry…

Hi Jeremy,

That is strange indeed.
Just a note, volvooncall is not a sensor component.

Did you ever get it working? I’m having the same problem. No errors or anything but there are no entities with the word “volvo” in them. I DID test the config with an incorrect password and then I got an error, but with the correct credentials, I can’t see anything…