Vscode with indent rainbow

If you use vscode

found this indent rainbow

install by clicking of the on the

then the EXTENSIONS

type in indent rainbow

then install

6 Likes

This is a great extension. It has already highlighted a few places where I was using one space indents instead of two in lists. It’s still valid config as long as the indents in the list are the same but still… nice to get everything to a standard.

same

someone just need to hit @frenck up see if he can add it to the build vscode build

Did you mean to ping @frenck ?

Yes that guy bad hair day

1 Like

Poor old frank. One post in August 2017. I wonder if he got sick of being mistakenly pinged for frenk and left?

@tom_l I think user @ frenk isn’t that happy either :wink:

Thanks for the tip guys! Will take a look :+1:

2 Likes

Done, upcoming release will have it by default.

2 Likes
1 Like

Thanks Bro

10 out 10

This is absolutely good extension for vs code. I installed it, set the HA url and token, restarted it. But auto-completing is not happening :confused:
what else needs to be configured or where to check what’s wrong?

are you using vs code inside HA

I am running HA in a container in MacOS. And running vs code in MacOS.

Do you have the home assistant config helper installed as well?

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=keesschollaart.vscode-home-assistant

here

cmd+shift+p in vscode

click on the

setting ui

search for home

put you IP address to home assistant

and add you long live access token

restart vs code should be working

yes. I’ve configed the HA url and token in the setting. Also in the button right of vs code, it is showing “Home Assistant” when I open configuration.yaml. didn’t have auto-completing and no rainbow.

Did all that (both for user and workspace), even recreated the token and input again, restart. rainhow showing up now. still no autocompleting :sweat:

I run HA on a pi, so I had to install vscode on my pc.
I used to use notepad++ (still have, just incase) but vsc was a significant improvement. I installed home assistant config helper, rainbow spacing and rainbow brackets. Pointed it at my config folder via samba and off it went.
Found two “problems” (script: appeared twice in one package and another item had an incorrect key)
I did nothing with tokens, it just worked.
Working on the files provides multiple auto complete options (annoyingly so sometimes but that’s where sensible ID names come to the fore)
The rainbow spacing is fantastic, but mens whenever I work on any file (new to rainbow) the ocd in me causes me to regularise the whole file.
My rating 10/10, excellent :+1:

Given the differences in our installations I can’t offer much advice but have you checked a) that your rainbow extension is active and b) diito with your home assistant helper ? The interface is a bit confusing but everything is there and I’m sure I’ll get used to it. I just have to hunt around at the moment. A bit like when they changed Excel (still takes me twice as long though :unamused: )

1 Like

Rainbow Brackets works much better than Bracket Pair Colouriser. The brackets didn’t colour when enclosed in quotes with that one.

Thanks for the tip.