Waiting for triggered Automation to Complete

Calling an automation (e.g., service: automation.trigger) the calling script or automation will wait for the called automation to finish running. This is the same as calling a script “directly” (e.g., service: script.NAME) (Link: Waiting for Script to Complete). But unlike calling a script via script.turn_on where the calling script or automation does not wait, I have not discovered an alternative service that triggers an automation to achieve the same result. Is there another method/service to trigger an automation without waiting for the called automation to finish that I missed?

No, not today.

One way would be to move all the actions from the automation into a script (and have the automation call the script.) Then, instead of triggering the automation, you could call the script via script.turn_on.

Or, you could add a custom event trigger to the automation. Then, instead of triggering the automation directly, you could fire the event.

Thanks Phil for this response and all your other posts as they have helped me through many HA programming issues. I’m intrigued by the custom event trigger and have homework to figure out how to implement. My first impression is the custom event trigger is better than my Plan “B” to pass variables for “automation to be triggered”, “calling script/automation” and “skip_conditon” when calling via script.turn_on an isolation script that that triggers the automation.

1 Like

See: https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/scripts/#raise-and-consume-custom-events