Wake word is rolled out?

This file has been updated several hours ago:

It seems we can use wake word now.

But when I try to understand this file, it seems it uses some new options of voice_assistant which are not document already. For example:

noise_suppression_level: 2
  auto_gain: 31dBFS
  volume_multiplier: 2.0
  vad_threshold: 3

This is the old doc:
https://esphome.io/components/voice_assistant.html?highlight=voice+assistant

Where can I find the descriptions of these new options?

2 Likes

Not where, when.

October 13th.

2 Likes

It seems I can have a test of it before October 13th through external_components. I have compiled and flashed it to M5Stack Atom Echo. But I haven’t found the wake word to wake it up.

Following are the pull requests corresponding to the wake word in external_components:

Do you have any clue?

Do I need to update my HA somehow to test this new setup, I kept getting errors even when I turned off use_wake_word template button.

It doesn’t seem to be documented yet, indeed it may not even be finished.

I tried to find some information on the wake word detection. There is a new docker image for a wake word addon: Docker
It might be necessary to add this to HA, so that your wake can be detected. This means esphome is streaming all your audio to the addon until this detects a wake word.

I found another hint about possible wake words in GitHub - rhasspy/wyoming-openwakeword: Wyoming protocol server for openWakeWord wake word detection system

docker run -it -p 10400:10400 rhasspy/wyoming-openwakeword \
    --model 'ok_nabu' \
    --model 'hey_jarvis' \
    --model 'hey_rhasspy' \
    --model 'hey_mycroft' \
    --model 'alexa' \
    --preload-model 'ok_nabu'

I think this is the list of pre-trained wake words.

Noice! can’t wait to dich my Alexa… on second thought… i will gut it and sing song while doing it! :woozy_face: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I dug a little bit more into the dev branch of HA and noticed that the wake word detection is already available:

The Wake-word-detection entity was introduced in Home Assistant 2023.9, and it’s used by 0 active installations.

I think I missed something :confused:

I hope I can find some free time on the weekend to have a deeper look into it :slight_smile:

Wow, now that would be an interesting situation, with esphome devices across the apartment, and one in every room constantly streaming audio to the “mothership” for wakeword detection. But let’s see what the announcement brings, maybe there is more to this. Curious anyway :slight_smile:

1 Like

Geez you folks are impatient. All will be revealed in a week.

7 Likes

You can’t have a tech-driven product like HA without a community that is highly motivated by “solving riddles and problems” and people who eat curiosity for breakfast :slight_smile:

7 Likes

But it’s right theeere! :sob:

It’s working awesome with my atom echo and “hey nabu” using openWakeWord! Sweet!

1 Like

Well, finally ordered the echo now afterall :slight_smile:

How did you get this option?

I configured openwakeword and also set in the assist pipeline. But I don’t see this option in the entity

I think you will need to wait 43 hours or so.

2 Likes

Device, not entity.

0 sleeps, 4 hours to go…

3 Likes

Year of the Voice Chapter 4 was very impressive. Going to need to play with my Atom M5 now and create my own wake word. :+1:

I’m a bit confused with this, using the atom echo we need to plug it directly to our home assistant machine right?
Is there any wireless solution?