WallPanel for Android Redux

I verified that the QR code is being sent as an MQTT message. The default topic is alarmpanel/sensor/qrcode and the payload is something like {“value”:“http://bit.ly/GiraDischi”}. Is it possible that the value not being parsed properly in the configuration yaml? Maybe “value_template: ‘{{ value_json.value }}’” is not working on the json.

I have now tried again with no luck. when i try in Camera test mode, i get a note on the tablet with the adress that the QR code i pointing to. ( nothing on the MQTT ) then i start the dashboard and the other messages start to appear but when i hold the QR code at the exakt same place there is no registration of the QR code and nothing on the MQTT, i have added a picture when i MQTT.fx sniffing at the same time.

Same behavior on both devices

br

Yeah, sorry, I was testing the Alarm Panel application which worked, but I don’t see the QR code is being detected on the WallPanel application. Let me get back to you, thanks!

I pushed out a new release with a fix for QR Code reading, look for update v0.8.3.9.

I have tried it now and it’s working, awsome! And thank you!

@thanksmister
After following this thread I have managed to disable the lockscreen on my 7" 5th gen Fire Tablet. Having used the old WallPanel until now I tested that, and everything was working fine so far. I then chose to switch to your version, but encountered a problem.
I worked through most of your beta-releases (is there a reason why you don’t publish APKs of the stable releases?). The latest version that is working for me is 0.8.1.7.

Every version after that seems to work fine at first sight, but fails at waking up the screen. I am not sure if the device crashes or if it’s just the screen that won’t come back to life. But the only thing I can do at this point is holding the power button, which eventually leads to the device booting again. Unfortunately a sideeffect of disabeling the lockscreen is the loss of ADB. For that reason I don’t really have a pointer what the issue may be, and if the the device is crashing or if it’s just the screen that does not light up.
Anyhow, the older beta is working, so I don’t ask for any bugfix here. Just wanted to notify you that such an issue exists with those old tablets, and the source of that problem was introduced after 0.8.1.7.

Why do you have to restart the device, why can’t you just pull up/down the Android controls and clear the app from the tasks? It’s not disabling the android controls, its just a fullscreen application.

Most likely its not initiating the camera on your device. I am using the Google Vision API to do motion and face detection which was added after 0.8.1.7. Have you tried the camera test after turning on the camera and face or motion detection? Was there any issues at that point? That’s my first guess, the second is that something with wake look and your version of OS. What version of Android are you specifically running?

To answer to your first reply: the screen is off at that point in time. So there’s nothing to pull down. The only thing to revive the device is using the power button.

Generally the camera is working. If I move my hand in front of the camera just as the screen turns off it turns back on again. So it seems like after the screen turns off it first goes into some screen-off-idle-state, and after some more time it goes into a depper sleep from which it can’t wake up. Don’t know if that makes sense, but that’s how I observe it.

PS: Fire OS 5.6.1.0 is the version.

That’s the correct behavior for Android, so when you devices goes into deep sleep, its unable to awake using the wake lock. It could be your device requires a certain type of wakelock, but I would need your Android version to attempt to duplicate the issue. You may try to turn on Daydream, this is what I have on my older devices to prevent deep sleep. This is part of the device settings and I set mine to Daydream (with the clock or colors) after about a minute. It seems to work on my older Nexus 7 (2009) which is running Android 5.0.1, a pretty old tablet.

Stupid me. I didn’t have the device attached to USB-power. With attached power it doesn’t go into deep sleep. In fact, it only dims the screen instead of turning it off completely. Which is fine I guess, since in that case I can use the latest version. :slight_smile:

To fix that, use Daydream feature, it’s the default screen saver.

I don’t have that on my Fire Tablet. Not sure if that’s bacause of Amazon, or just because it’s too old. It’s 5th gen, so a few years already. For me it’s fine like this. Thanks for the effort. :slight_smile:

I’m having trouble getting the battery sensor to work. I just see a “-” in the battery sensor
Untitled

My configuration

sensor:
  - platform: mqtt
    state_topic: "wallpanel/mywallpanel/sensor/battery"
    name: "WallPanel Battery Level"
    unit_of_measurement: "%"
    value_template: ''

I have the sensor reporting turned on in the wall panel app. My Mosquitto QTT log shows my tablet is connecting

1538113488: New connection from 192.168.1.215 on port 1883.

What am I doing wrong?

I figured it out. I was missing the value template

- platform: mqtt
    state_topic: "wallpanel/mywallpanel/sensor/battery"
    name: "WallPanel Battery Level"
    unit_of_measurement: "%"
    value_template: '{{ value_json.value }}'

I feel stupid for asking this but, i cant find the settings for this app after the initial setup! Cant find any buttons to get out of the fullcsreen. Cant find anything in the android settings. Havent used this tablet for a long time. Help? :slight_smile:

As far as I know, the way to exit full-screen is the same for any Android device. You can use the available navigation keys or you can pull down on the top of the screen to get the software keys. You hit the back button to return to the settings. So you just need to activate the onscreen navigation.

happy to see you took over, much appreciated… switched to your version and love it :slight_smile:

but is there some kind of logging from the app? i have a strange connection issue… after some hours it just doesn’t refresh the dashboard anymore. switches etc. are still working but i don’t get any feeback pushed back to wallpanel, motion wakelock also stops working. Otherwise my setup works pretty well so I wouldn’t suspect ha to cause the issue. appdaemon also doesn’t show anything usefull in the logs.

It could be a lot of things, but it sounds like your device is sleeping and killing the application or the connection. Do you have DayDream setup so that your device doesn’t turn off? Do you have your power cord connected? Do you have an option in your settings for WiFi sleep?

Sure it’s hard to debug. Weird that it happens after several hours… it’s a N7 (2013) connected to a ps. With a minimalistic custom 7.1.2 rom. Wifi doesn’t sleep, it’s set to always. I might try an automation to wake the thing up every now and then via mqtt or something.