WallPanel for Android Redux

Started to use Tileboard as opposed to Dashboard but noticed some redraw issues, with the type.

As you can see the text in some areas is not clear, this doesn’t show when on desktop (Safari) but only in WallPanel and the built in browser.

Seems like a question for Tileboard and it’s comparability with native browser. Other than user agent change or updating the Android WebView we don’t have many options to make Android WebView more compatible.

I think I may have found the issue. I have my view set up 100% in WallPanel which I thought would render at 1920x1080 so a 1:1 ratio. Turns out 150% renders it at 1:1. The text is now drawn correctly. Is this a bug or just my tablet?

I don’t know about the zoom feature much other than it was marked experimental. But maybe it’s a font rendering issue on the tablet? Did you compare your device browser look to the application browser? I would assume they would be the same.

The logic within the application seems to be correct, it’s 1:1 unless the zoom is otherwise changed:

if (zoomLevel.toDouble() != 1.0) {
       mWebView!!.setInitialScale((zoomLevel * 100).toInt())
}

So I think the WebView has an initial zoom that is not 1:1 or at least it appears smaller by default than expected. This may be deliberate on the part of Google, I will have to investigate. It could also be some scaling done by Tileboard which determines the browser type and makes changes based on that.

3 Likes

As you can see this is not just the text but SVG graphics as well. Scaling in webkit is not great.

Have been trying to run latest version of WallPanel on two tablets recently:
Google Nexus 7 2013 (Android 6.0.1)
Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 (Android 8.0)
On both devices camera permission were granted to the app but when I tried to test camera only black square appeared.
WallPanel is a great app and I’d be glad to provide any additional information which may help to improve it.

Yeah, just looks like I had introduced an issue fetching the camera list for the preview. Look for the next update coming up, v0.8.2-beta.1. It’s available on the release section of Github or you can wait until the update rolls out to the Google Play servers in just a few.

1 Like

Also make sure you have something turned on for the camera, like motion, face detection, qrcode, etc. I think if you have nothing the preview is empty (need to fix this behavior).

Hi, I might be missing something obvious or even mentioned before when I run wall panel and connect to my HA instance https://hassio:8123 I get a white screen with a blue bar at top
From what I can tell the Android version is ok ( 4.4 ) the camera tests work, can connect to MQTT everything else seems fine just no display
I have tried looking for the solution but nothing - any ideas or prompts, maybe theres a component I don’t have installed?
Help very much appreciated.

Try using the valid IP address like http://192.168.1.1:8123 for whatever your IP address is for HASS.

Have you updated your WebView ( Google Play). If you can’t render HASS your WebView may be too outdated and can’t render the site. Try to load google first to make sure it’s rendering websites.

Did you also try the browser type setting and turn it to legacy browser?

I’ve downloaded the latest version of this from play store and it has some issues that I haven’t had on the previous APK version. The MQTT doesn’s seem to send the battery information. The motion sensor is working, but I get nothing on the battery topic. Also when in the dashboard I can’t switch pages. I use HA Dashboard. Also I don’t get anything when I put in the url for the camera stream either. I’ve turned on both MQTT and HTTP/Streaming and the IP adresses and login information is correct. I have a Lenovo Tab 7 Essential with Android 7.0

I will take a look. I do see that sensors are being published and so is motion. Maybe check your publish frequency under sensors?

Here is what I have for motion:

topic: wallpanel/mywallpanel/sensor/motion 
payload: {"value":true}

For battery:

topic: wallpanel/mywallpanel/sensor/battery
payload: {"value":100,"unit":"%","charging":true,"acPlugged":false,"usbPlugged":true}

I will try to issue a fix for the browser, I think I am overriding any page change in the browser.

I also tested the MJPEG streaming, its also working. Are you sure you are on the same network? I am not seeing the issues you reported possibly the browser not allowing links.

I just update to the newest version and the MJPEG stream is working now. I also found out that I had to “Enable Sensor Publishing” which didn’t strike me before since the battery sensor isn’t listed under there. Still can’t change the dashboards though.

Yeah, this is a user experience issue because sensors include the battery but technically on Android the battery is read differently. I will find a way to either include the battery in the sensor list or have it be its own separate sensor setting. I am glad you are back in business.

Hey, folks. Anyone have a dummy guide to how to navigate to a different panel? I’ve read the dashboard creation page and it gives this as an example:

alias: Navigate
sequence:

• event: hadashboard
    event_data:
    command: navigate
    timeout: 10
    target: SensorPanel
    sticky: 0

Does that go in the .dash file or is that a seperate script i need to create?

I am not sure you are in the correct discussion. What dashboard creation page are you referring too? This question seems unrelated to WallPanel application.