[WARN] Home Assistant CLI not starting! Jump into emergency console - yes, again!

[WARN] Home Assistant CLI not starting! Jump into emergency console

Months ago I installed Home Assistant on a Raspberry Pi 3B+

It worked fine, but having learned many better ways of doing things, I decided to start again from scratch, and this time using a Raspberry Pi 4.

on 28-Jul-24 I used the Raspberry Pi Imager v1.8.5 to write the SD card. Home Assistant OS 12.4 was downloaded.

The build stopped at: [WARN] Home Assistant CLI not starting! Jump into emergency console. Quite what that message means, or how to achieve this jump is an unnecessary mystery!

Having seen that LOADS of other people have had this issue, I entered LOGIN. Minutes later I was back at the original WARN message.

I tried again with a different Raspberry Pi 4 – with EXACTLY the same result. I tried again with a different SD card. Same result on both Raspberry Pi 4 devices.

On 29-Jul-24 I used the Raspberry Pi Imager v1.8.5 to write the SD card for the Raspberry Pi 3B+ I had been previously using. Home Assistant OS 12.4 was downloaded. I STILL get the WARN error message, and LOGIN also takes me back to the WARN error message within minutes.

All three Raspberry Pis are being used in the same location that worked with the original Raspberry Pi 3B+ and there is no issue with my Internet connection.

Despite all of the flim-flam responses from the Home Assistant developers on this forum, logically, the problem is with this iteration of Home Assistant…

BaDaHe
NSW, Australia
Mon 29-Jul-24 10:46

1 Like

Can you post a picture of what you see in the console during installation?

Nine times out of ten this is a DNS issue.

Yes, most likely the DNS server which is announced by your DHCP does not exist or does not respond to regular DNS requests, or your network does not announce a DHCP server at all, and blocks the fallback DNS server 1.1.1.1.

FWIW, Supervisor should actually still start-up the CLI and the landing page. This is currently a bug. This will be resolved with the next HAOS release (see also Add hard-coded image fallback for plugins for offline start by mdegat01 · Pull Request #5204 · home-assistant/supervisor · GitHub).