Was it a mistake to factory reset my z-stick?

I’m new to Home Assistant, fleeing the disaster that is SmartThings. I’m using a ubuntu box with an Aeotec z-stick gen5. I had most things working well, but then I went to try to remove an unknown device that wouldn’t go away. Long story short, I factory reset the z-stick, and now all of the z-wave devices show up but are greyed out and unusable.

Is it possible to recover the zwave configuration? I have the files backed up. Or am I just going to have to manually re-add everything? If the latter, then do the existing devices/entities need to be removed first?

What kind of backup do you have? the HA config files or a backup of the Z stick itself?

The HA files. Didn’t realize that the z-stick could be backed up.

Then sorry… you’re screwed…

No

Yes

2 Likes

Aeotech bacup software for windows
https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/attachments/6114251112

Link was from here

1 Like

Thanks for confirming.

Sorry I didn’t see your reply until now.

For future reference users won’t be notified directly of your replies to them unless you put their username in the post (i.e. @finity) or you reply to them by using the reply button in their post.

Thank you. I expected that any reply to the thread would have notified everyone who spoke in the thread. So many conversation apps these days, it’s a full-time job to know what to expect with. The tech world needs a standard way of indicating what will happen.

1 Like

@finity BTW, I did click reply on your response from yesterday. The UI doesn’t indicate that I replied to your response, so I’m replying again referencing you directly.

Yeah, I just got your last two replies.

The system will update my “unread” topics to tell me there are new posts but I sometimes don’t get to those right away. But if I see a notification I’ll usually get to those first.

And another quirk in the system is that if you reply to the last post in the thread it won’t indicate that you replied to that person but it will pop up a notification to them anyway. I guess it assumes if you are replying to the last post then it’s obvious who you were replying to.

It’s a bit convoluted but once you get used to it it’s not too bad.

1 Like