Washroom light

Hi

Im in the middle of rebuilding my washroom. I did start too think about lightning, gonna go for some spotlights and led strips

What brand works best with HA? Like Philips hue?
Or should I just buy dumb spotlights and install à z-wave switch?

Do the Philips hue dimmer switch works good with HA?

Also gonna have à motion sensor, think Im gonna go for the aeonlab so i Can install it with power and not batterie

I’m going to suggest something but I’m sure it won’t be too popular…

Forget about a multisensor or some high tech solution. It’s a bathroom and it should just work and not depend on an automation rule or something that could go down or confuse a guest.

Just purchase a simple dumb switch with a motion sensor built into it if you want some automation in your bathroom. Trust me, you’ll thank me later on. There’s some places where smart tech just doesn’t add value and the loo is one of them.

1 Like

Good thinking, its à washroom tho
But yea, maybe just a zwave switch so I atleast can turn it off when noone is home

Good thinking

I’ve done the same as Rob. I went to my local home improvement store and purchased a light switch with built in motion sensor. It’s been perfect for 2+ years. Mine goes off by itself after 1 minute if not occupied.

Its a Good idé, but i wanna have it in HA. Mostly so i can turn it off when no one is at home, and when going to bed.

A motion sensor would mostly be for the alarm I guess.

The upside with a zwave switch is that IT can be controlled like a normal switch also, and have some More simple automations.

A burglar alarm? So you’ll know if someone takes a poop instead of leaving one? LOL

When you say “washroom”, I think you mean what I would call “laundry room”. Where the washer and dryer are, right?

With a downstairs half-bath (just a toilet and a sink) I’ve done what others in this thread have suggested - a “dumb” motion switch. Fast, no latency.

For my master bath, I went with Zwave. I prefer zwave to the Hues since you have a physical switch. I do have a motion sensor in there that I use to turn off the main lights when the room has been empty for a while.

In my laundry room, I have no automation. I didn’t care enough to bother :slight_smile:

You could be missing out though. My washer and dryer tell me when they are done.

And once I get the electrician in, the LeakSmart will shut off the water if there’s ever a leak.

I have a teenager that let’s me know when it’s done. Then empties it…

Plus, I can hear that stupid tune that LG washer/dryers play from anywhere in the house.

I don’t use a leak sensor - my builder put in a full “tub” underneath washer/dryer that drains into wastewater.

Haha, would be fun! With a Sonos that says “Thanks, but dont forget to flush”

I think laundry room is the Word Im seeking. And its in my basement, with a window that someone could break.

Well a leak sensor im gonna have, thats a good investment.

Alot of good ides here, i think im gonna go with dumb spots and a zwave switch. Maybe a sensor for the alarm, and turning off the lights if no motion for a while.

Would also setup a automation for lights if noone is at home.

So the investment would be

• some led spots, dumb once
  • 1 zwave dimmer switch (qubino)
  • 1 leak sensor, anyone that would work bryter with HA?

I gotta get me one of those!

Ahh, totally different thing. I would suggest the Aeotec Multisensor 6 then; I have two of them and I’m real happy with them. If you’re concerned about break ins, then I would plug it into AC, set reporting type to binary and the notification to Hail for the best results and quickest response time.

I wouldn’t go with smart bulbs and instead just get a ZWave switch like a GE or something similar. It will also act as a repeater for your Zwave. As far as water detection, Aeotec makes a pretty good one; but I opted to go with a LeakSmart system because it has a main shutoff valve that can close if it detects a leak.

Completely agree - some places automation doesn’t add value and if anything just complexity.

Lutron vacancy switches in all bathrooms, Lutron occupancy in pantry, mudroom, and kids closets. Simple and works perfectly.

The “only” thing i like about the Philips Hue is the Hue dimming switch they have, Insted of having just a button I need to press/ hold to dim.

Have anyone got the Dimming switch to work with HA?

I will update you how i do, and the end result.

Some pitchers of yesterdays work :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lutron motion switch

https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-Maestro-required-Single-Pole-MS-OPS2-WH/dp/B005WM3ALC

GE zwave dimmer
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006LQFHN2/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490301890&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=ge+zwave+dimmer