Water wastage automation

Open your Home Assistant instance and show the blueprint import dialog with a specific blueprint pre-filled.

Hi there,

I created an automation blueprint to detect water wastage based on active water usage sensors. Currently I use the HomeWizard Watermeter as water sensor. This is also the sensor I used to test the automation, but I guess you could also use different sensors as long as it uses liters per minute as unit of measurement.

Why?
I ran into the following problem: Every now and then, my partner forgets to completely close the water valve after washing his hands for example. This could potentially lead to quite some water wastage when the valve is left open for a couple of hours, when nobody notices that it is still open. With this blueprint I wanted to send an automated notification and TTS command to different speakers around the apartment to warn us if the water has been running for more than 30 minutes.

I figured that this automation could also be used in different situations, or with different actions. So I made this blueprint.

Features
This automation also handles faulty information sent by the watersensor. Sometimes, my sensor was measuring 0 l/min for a short moment, while the water was still running. This lead to time-based triggers not being triggered, and thus no notification being sent. I solved this problem using a boolean input helper which is activated when the active water usage exceeds a certain level, and deactivated if the active water usage is zero for more than 30 seconds.

I added the level when water is considered being ‘running’, debounce time of the water sensor, and the duration after which the configured sequence will be triggered as customizable inputs.

How to set up

1. Create an input boolean helper to track active water usage. This input boolean is used to track water usage based on your set levels and debounce time
  2. Import the blueprint Open your Home Assistant instance and show the blueprint import dialog with a specific blueprint pre-filled.
  3. Select the active water usage sensor (must be liters per minute) and the input boolean helper that you created in step 1
  4. Set the debounce time (I advise 30 seconds), the minimum level of active water usage that will be tracked (0.1 works best for me), the duration of active water usage after which your configured sequence will be triggered, and add the actions you want to be triggered when water is being wasted.
  5. Set a name and profit :slight_smile:

The original code can be found here: Home assistant water wastage · GitHub

3 Likes

Hoi, how did you make the Helper input boolean?

thanks a lot for this. it’s exactly what I was looking for and worked at first glance :pray: