Ways to make a DIY Sensor node connect to HASS?

Hello guys. I’m sorry if this is the wrong section where i am posting this request.
So basically , i have a low cost home automation project to do,by using cheap PIRs, reed relays for door/windows and normal switches and 4ch/8ch relay board. I do not have that much programming skills. Thus i was looking at different platforms that will help me sets this up such as Cayenne, openHab and Homeassistant.
Setting Home Assistant using Hassbian was relatively easy.
The thing is, i already have some Digital i/o expander MCP23017,which i bought because Cayenne supported them.
So, for each room( a total of 3), i want to have : 1 Relay, 2 reed relays(for door and window) , 2 switches.

What are the ways you guys think, i can get these above mention devices,to get connected to my HASS on my Rpi ?

I have been reading that HASS doesnt support i2c. Thus i wont be able to use the MCP23017 gpio expander.
I would be very grateful if you can come up with a relatively easy solution for me.
Thanks in advance for getting back to me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not sure what kind of hardware you have but several of us have used some cheap devices to make a home security system based upon 433Mhz devices using MQTT as a protocol through a gateway. The following forum might be worth a look.

Thanks for getting back :slight_smile: . Am sorry, i couldnt make it more clear about my hardwares. I have also just started playing with controlling the GPIOs through Home assistant. Hope everything goes well…
Thnks again :slight_smile: