Waze travel time update

Will still be part of Europe just not the European Union !

Thank you very much for your time on this!
I have inserted co-ordinates and it seems to be giving perfect outputs now.

Thanks again

Yes, that would work 100%. The problem lies in the translation from address to GPS. Just make sure you input it like this:

lat,lon

Iā€™ve yet to find a solution to the startup issue. Next on my list.

The errors are unrelated to this current conversation. The errors will go away when this PR is finalized inside the next build. It just so happens that if you use the wrong server, youā€™ll get these errors. The reason you get them so much is because the current version (and all old versions) cycle all 3 servers instead of using the one in your region. This pr changes the loop to only use your region server instead of talking to all 3. Iā€™m waiting on the original developer to merge the changes.

1 Like

if anyone in the EU wonder, the decimal has to have a .
correct is:

41.12345, 12.12345

Yes, thatā€™s because the waze api requires it that way.

I have another type of problemā€¦ the sensors till some days ago reported the travel time using the shortest route, but now they use a very strange route as you see in this screenshot:

Commonly there is a highway between the two cities called A24 and generally it takes 30 minutes to reach the destination. Actually it uses a very strange route and the result is a very very long trip as you see in the pic.

Is it related to what?

EDIT: I get always these errors about the sensors:

2019-03-16 20:44:33 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.entity] Update of sensor.avezzano_l_aquila is taking over 10 seconds
2019-03-16 20:45:01 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.entity] Update of sensor.l_aquila_avezzano is taking over 10 seconds

What are your start point and destinations? Are they addresses or coordinates?
A per above there was a change in the way Waze identifies coordinates from an address.

I had the same issue and now use coordinates which gives me the expected dataā€¦

This is the code of that sensor:

- platform: waze_travel_time
  name: "Avezzano-L'Aquila"
  origin: Avezzano, Italy
  destination: L'Aquila, Italy
  region: 'EU'

They are simple cities

ok, change them to coordinates. Itā€™s an issue with Waze servers.
See above post with more details

Ok, but using a simple name of cities instead of precise addresses, how to put coordinates?
Must i change both source and destination?

yes. Do a simple search on Google Maps, once youā€™ve found the exact location, left click on it, youā€™ll get a pop up with coordinates, like this:
Format needs to be ww.xxxxxx, yy.zzzzz (pay attention to comas and dots. Decimals need to be with a dot, not a coma like in Italian)

Ok, is it correct?:

name: "Avezzano-L'Aquila"
  origin: 42.040228, 13.438796
  destination: 42.3633634, 13.3157262

yeah I think that should work. Not 100% sure if you need to enclose this in quotes (I use zones for my locationsā€™ coordinates)

Ok iā€™ll try, thanks

1 Like

Put the locations in quotes.

1 Like

With locations you mean origin and destination? And double quotes?

thatā€™s my working configuration (no quotes in origin/destination) probably works with quote too, I did not check.

origin: 41.xxx, 12.xxx
    destination: 41.912974, 12.532184
    name: da Casa a Stazione Tiburtina
    icon: mdi:train

quote type doesnā€™t matter. The only reason I recommend quotes here is because we donā€™t want the parser thinking that the origin or destination field is a number. We want it to think itā€™s a string. But, home assistants yaml parser has been getting better and better. They could have these types of things sorted out by now.

Why the vehicle_type was removed?
Iā€™m with ha 0.93.1:

CONF_DESTINATION = 'destination'
CONF_ORIGIN = 'origin'
CONF_INCL_FILTER = 'incl_filter'
CONF_EXCL_FILTER = 'excl_filter'
CONF_REALTIME = 'realtime'

And missing CONF_VEHICLE_TYPE = 'vehicle_type'

Vehicle type was never removedā€¦ itā€™s never existed.

It was planned as an addition to the next build but the PR is stuck in limbo