Wear OS - "Could not connect"

How did everyone even install it? I also have a tic pro 3 but can’t find wear os in the play store.

Got it installed but no instance showing up and “cannot register” when I enter the server info manually

The instance gets pulled in from the phone app. Are you logged into the phone app? It will direct you to entering the credentials on the phone to login on the watch. Alternatively you can login using the phone app directly.

Thanks for the quick reply. I am logged in to the companion app on my phone. I got to the point of the watch asking me to login on the phone after entering the HA address manually. Did that and then received “cannot register” error.

Try logging in with the watch connected to wifi but not BT…does it work then?

Unfortunately not. Now, anytime I enter the address manually, the app on the watch just crashes. I have removed and re-installed. Rebooted the watch and the phone. I can’t get in through bluetooth or wifi.

ok if the app is crashing then we need to see the on device logs in order to proceed. Unfortunately there is no easy way to get them you will need to hook up to a computer and use adb logcat.

Certainly no problem there if you are willing to help. I do have experience using my watch with ADB so that should shorten the learning curve. How do I install logcat?

1 Like

logcat is part of ADB so if you ahve ADB working you can run adb logcat | grep homeassistant to show some logs taht may be app related but this crash could be hidden.

The easiest way to pull logcat would be to install android studio and use the logcat interface there…from there just reproduce the crash and you should see the stacktrace show up. You can try to filter by homeassistant but it may not show up as I am not sure where this crash in particular is happening.

I had some issues with my ticwatch, suddendly it disconnected from HA.

Then I tried to pair again with HA and I got myself in a eternal loop when selecting the URL on the WATCH, then it asked to continue config on PHONE, but this occurs forever and it is a loop.

The solution was to stop bluetooth on watch, enter the URL manually on WATCH and then the configuration goes normally.

Ok,

So I struggled with this for a few days. Initially I could only get this working using the local IP address for my Home Assistance, and not my Reverse Proxy ser.

After reading a number of answers, I was able to get this working using the following configuration

1. I had bluetooth on and wireless off on my wear os watch
  2. I used a VPN on my phone, which was on wireless (permitting a connection through my firewall to my reverse proxy server that accepts connections from my phone using a DDNS updating capability on my phone to track the phone’s IP address. This is not required, but allows me to only permit my phone to connect to the Reverse Proxy server and refuse connections from other attempts to connect).

Once this was done, I launched Home Assistant Companion App on my watch, and set up the server connection on my phone.

I then turned off my VPN on my phone, and tried the connection from my watch, which worked.
I then turned off Wifi on my phone, and attempted to connect from my watch over the mobile carrier network, which also connected.

It seems that the issue is the initial connection/authorization sequence to Home Assistant. Once a connection is made, it seems to work.

If I have any updates, I will let everyone know.

I hope this helps anyone.

Cheers,
B.D.

1 Like

After doing some more reading, I found a solution that worked for my situation (WearOS HA companion app wouldn’t connect when BlueTooth was enabled).

Solution: In HA’s configuration.yaml, I removed my local network (including my cell phone’s WiFi address) from the http: trusted proxies: list.

Hope that helps others having this issue.

Hi,

could you please share how you did that exactly? in my configuration.yaml there is no entry for anything regarding network setup. :frowning:
thanks

You should be able to do something similar to this in your configuration.yaml.

http:
  server_port: xxxx
  use_x_forwarded_for:  true
  trusted_proxies:
    -  x.x.x.x (the IP address of your HA instance)
  ip_ban_enabled:  true
  login_attempts_threshold:  5

Basically, I had my phone and watch IP addresses also included under the “trusted_proxies” list, which was creating an issue with connecting my WearOS/watch to HA.

2 Likes

Thank you, this worked for me!
(login_attempts_treshold: 5 triggered an error whilst reloding HA, so I removed it)

Sorry, I spelling that line incorrectly. It should be:

login_attempts_threshold: 5

Glad that worked for you!

I was happy too early… today when I tried to use it I got “Error loading entities”.
I tried to log out and in again and got the same message as before, “Could not connect”.
I don’t see anything in the logs of Home Assistant Core.

I got to the same place as you I think.
I was able to get the initial setup/auth working by disabling BT and enabling WiFi on the watch, it could load entities fine, but now I’m having problems after turning BT back on and WiFi automatically turning itself back off.

Now I can only see my favourited entities and it says “Error loading entities” below.
I am able to control those favourited entities just fine, as well as receive notifications from Home Assistant to my watch, but other entities and Assist do not work.
When launching Assist I get “Assist couldn’t reach Home Assistant, check your connection”

My http config is as follows, and I access Home Assistant proxied through Traefik on another server.

http:
  ssl_certificate: /ssl/fullchain.pem
  ssl_key: /ssl/privkey.pem
  use_x_forwarded_for: true
  trusted_proxies:
    - 127.0.0.1 # Localhost
    - 172.16.0.xxx # Server 1
    - 172.16.0.xxx # Server 2
    - 172.30.33.0/24 # Nginx Proxy Addon