Weather station recommendation?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Hello everyone,

Iā€™ve read through this thread and to my surprise there does not seem to be an easy cloud-less solution other than netatmo? I wonder why nobody contemplates zwave solutions like the Z-Wave Weather Station by Qubino (it may have got phased out as I canā€™t find it now in Qubinoā€™s website anymore) or Popp https://www.popp.eu/products/sensors/z-weather/

Are they too unreliable maybe? I donā€™t mind feeding WU but Iā€™m located in Spain and even though I can browse WU and see what the forecast here looks like, after what Iā€™ve read here Iā€™m not sure I can still upload my data into WU. In any case, I would rather prefer not to depend on having internet connection or even a 3rd party cloud service.

Parsing an embedded website is probably the best choice because the zwave options that I found are a bit pricey. The form factor is also important to me because I live in a flat and I need to mount my station in the balcony. Maybe Netatmo should be my choice?

Thanks

I couldnā€™t find any good reviews for the Popp weather station. Also, as you mention, itā€™s quite expensive, just like other Z-Wave options.

In my opinion, the nicest option would be if someone could create a Hassio add-on for Weewx with the interceptor driver & MQTT preconfigured. In theory, you could buy any random weather station that supports Weather Underground, then configure your router to intercept that traffic and off you go. I was trying to achieve that, but unfortunately I couldnā€™t get the interceptor driver working for my situation. Perhaps someone else is up to the challenge :slight_smile:

You donā€™t really need to parse an embedded website (do you mean the ā€˜control panelā€™ of a weather station?). In fact, I would recommend against it because the hardware was not designed for that and seems to fail faster if you keep scraping. My alternative was to simply use the (new & fresh) Weather Underground API. FYI the API was taken down by Weather Underground for a while, then last year they reintroduced a new API but only for people who actually upload their own weather data from their own weather station. You give them data, you can get it back (generous isnā€™t it). Using this sensor:

sensor:
  - platform: rest
    name: pws_report
    json_attributes:
      - observations
    value_template: '{{ value_json["observations"][0]["obsTimeLocal"].title() }}'
    resource: https://api.weather.com/v2/pws/observations/current?stationId=YOURSTATIONID&format=json&units=m&apiKey=YOURAPIKEY
    scan_interval: 60
  - platform: template
    sensors:
      pws_location:
        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.pws_report.attributes.observations[0].neighborhood }}'
      pws_station_id:
        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.pws_report.attributes.observations[0].stationID }}'
      pws_type:
        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.pws_report.attributes.observations[0].softwareType }}'
      pws_wind_dir:
        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.pws_report.attributes.observations[0].winddir }}'
      pws_wind_gust:
        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.pws_report.attributes.observations[0].windGust }}'
      pws_wind_speed:
        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.pws_report.attributes.observations[0].metric.windSpeed }}'
      pws_humidity:
        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.pws_report.attributes.observations[0].humidity }}'
      pws_precip_total:
        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.pws_report.attributes.observations[0].metric.precipTotal }}'
      pws_precip_rate:
        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.pws_report.attributes.observations[0].metric.precipRate }}'
      pws_temp:
        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.pws_report.attributes.observations[0].metric.temp }}'
      pws_pressure:
        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.pws_report.attributes.observations[0].metric.pressure }}'
      pws_solar:
        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.pws_report.attributes.observations[0].solarRadiation }}'
      pws_uv:
        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.pws_report.attributes.observations[0].uv }}'

So whatā€™s the Ambient issue? Is it a hardware-reliability issue? It seems like the GUI looks a lot like HA (i.e. Google Material Design). It says it works with Alexa, etc. looks like a good choiceā€¦on the surface.

Iā€™ve got a 20 year old Davis Vantage Pro2 thatā€™s been rock solid, but the more I work with HA, the less desirous I am to play with grafting old RS-232 onto wifi, onto HA, etc.

Iā€™m more into paying the $200 or so for new hardware. But it has to work in HA and it has to work as a standalone device. The company needs to be reliable and supportive.

Cheers,

-Ambi

I have been running a Ambient WS-1401-IP for 4 or 5 months now without issue. This is not the fanciest version but integrated easily into HA and Amazon.

1 Like

URL to the HA card? I canā€™t seem to find it.

2 Likes

Itā€™s showing as discontinued at the Ambient site. Any recommendations as to what might replace it? See belowā€¦

ā€¦with this restriction. I donā€™t want yet another cloud service collecting my data and meting it back out to me on their terms. Is there anything which can just send the data over IP (or ZHA or whatever) where HA can use it?

Might check the 1550 then: https://www.ambientweather.com/amws1500.html

This one, like the 1401 create a webpage on your network and feeds directly into HA. The outside services are all optional. I went ahead and integrated all of it and contribute to the network of sensors but you do not have to.

My HA readout is pretty plain but you could make guages and more:

1 Like

Iā€™ve had a 1550-IP for a couple years now. Other than rebooting the Observer occasionally, itā€™s been solid. I export data to Ambient and Weather Underground. I use the Ambient sensors for near real-time stuff and Weather Underground for forecast information. The web page generated by the Observer doesnā€™t include forecasts and requires scraping to capture the data. Some have intercepted the Weather Station broadcasts with an RF dongle and used various methods to move the data to HA. Your skill level and curiosity will determine your solution.

1 Like

Thanks! I like the idea of the 1550-IP. I notice itā€™s a much bulkier sensor array than the older WS-1401-IP. That one had everything molded in so it was all one compact unit. This one looks more fragile, with three plastic arms reaching out to hold the sensors. Iā€™m considering something like this on my boat, so it would be on a mast where space is at a premium and a rugged design is important.

My last Ambient system just died this month, after over 10 years of flawless service, so Iā€™m OK with that brand. However, I see others by La Crosse and AcuRite which appear more compact.

Anyone integrate either of those into HA?

1 Like

Maybe these links are interesting for you, although they are in German:

https://www.stall.biz/project/weatherman-edition-die-ultimative-wetterstation-fuers-smarthome
https://www.stall.biz/project/weatherman-die-perfekte-wetterstation-fuer-die-hausautomation

even 1.5 yrs later, still shipping within U.S. only. :frowning:

Hello Guys,
As far as I know, the Weather Underground service (WU, now IBM business?) is giving free tokens to anyone, who is sending local PWS data to them. At least I do have one free key (so I think the offer still exists). This can be used to connect HA to the service.
So one option is any PWS, thatā€™s WU compatible. I have a very old WH-1080 compatible station bought from Conrad, 4-5 years ago but still working, thatā€™s having a USB connector on the indoor unit, I connected it to an OpenWRT router to periodically read, and send/upload the data to WU. (If it stops sending, they even warn me.) But there are newer models, which have WiFi interface, that can perform the data sending directly.
The other option is to read the outdoor unitā€™s RF(433?) signals directly, and use a local receiver to convert them to HA sensors. In this case You should focus on the RF standard used, there are some units out there (like Oregon Scientific) which are having their complete protocol description shared to public (see wmrx00 on sourceforge).
And there are the cheapest DIY units as well, the sensors (like Temperature and Humidity) are extremely cheap. However the rain and wind sensors are more complicated to create, so maybe the best is to buy a cheap one instead, if a full weather station is needed.
The Netatmos and some others are extremely expensiveā€¦ (however maybe possible to add features one by one).

hi @Malaka
Thanks for the links. The weatherman 2 looks very interesting. Did you try it? Is it reliable?
How easy it is to use with HA?

Thanks,
Alex

No, not yet. Project for next year :slight_smile:

@jwoodard80 Thanks for your review! very helpful and I totally get where youā€™re coming from with that. Because of it I will not be buying anything from them.

1 Like

I would look at the ecowitt itemsā€¦ itā€™s made by the same parent company.

Iā€™m using an Ecowitt HP2551 and am pretty happy with it. Good price and an easy install too.

I didnā€™t use the HA community integration since it was easy to surface of all of the sensors in Node-RED. Right now, may station feeds both HA and Weather Underground. I tried getting it to work with Cumulus MX (to feed PWS Weather for my Rachio irrigation system) but couldnā€™t get that whole mess to work. Not a critical item though.

As a bonus, I use the UV radiation data to help dynamically tweak some of my internal / external lighting automations on really gray days.

1 Like

Hi to everyone and sorry to come back to this old thread but Iā€™m in need of some help :slight_smile:
Iā€™ve installed the program mentioned by tube0013 on a beaglebone black running debian 11 and it seems to work fine, what I donā€™t understand is how I would have to use the mentioned script to publish in MQTT the decoded results.
Many thanks for whatever I can get, Federico