Weather widget and met.no?

Hey folks,

Working on updating my hadashboard setup – I’ve been using an iframe to display weather, looking to just go back to using the weather widget.

It seems like it still defaults to using the dark sky API. Seems like the default in home assistant now is met.no, and looking at what it reports I think it’s good enough.

That said, I’m trying to hook it up to the weather widget. I’m reviewing the widget docs at Dashboard Creation — AppDaemon 4.2.1 documentation, and I gather there’s a platform option, but it’s not documented there. Is there a simple way to hook the widget up to met.no data source through that? Do I need to just hook up the sensors piecemeal?

Just wondering how folks are doing this now on new installs – poking at it I’m just getting an “entity not defined: undefined” on my dash. Trying to start simple here, so widget config is:

weather:
  widget_type: weather
  units: "°F"
  show_forecast: 0
  sensors:
    temperature: weather.forecast_home.temperature

Appreciate any pointers – thanks!

1 Like

Did you ever fix this? I’m brand new to HA (as of late last night), and still hasn’t found out how to add addons 🫣

Dark Sky was great but Apple bought them and closed off the free access tier. I assume that DS was replaced by MET.no as the default weather data provider but I’m in the US (TX) and their data is not as local as I would like. A company has started up which duplicates the DS API: merrysky.net and they have a good free tier. I would like to figure out how to get data from them as opposed to MET.no.

But I am also new and am trying to figure out automations and services at the moment.