WeatherFlow Smart Weather Station via UDP

When I first installed this, I got the error described above:

Platform error sensor.smartweatherudp - cannot import name 'UNIT_UV_INDEX' from 'homeassistant.const' (/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/const.py)

It looks like that was supposed to be fixed in 0.1.6, but for some reason installing via HACS didn’t actually give me those changes. I went and manually modified sensor.py and then it worked.

I was trying to enter the IP address of my station, which is DHCP Reserved (Static), but that didn’t seem to work. I got errors about not being able to connect in my logs. Once I removed the host property entirely (allowed it to just find the station itself), everything booted up and seemed to work.

Upon further inspection of the different sensors though, it seems like some of them are doing something weird – the following sensors all read as 32, which doesn’t make any sense. It’s currently 91 degrees fahrenheit where I am:

• dewpoint
  • feels_like
  • heat_index
  • temperature
  • wind_chill

I am seeing that the sensors are updating (e.g. wind_speed_realtime), so it’s “working” but something is messed up around these sensors. Possibly related to me manually making the changes in the link above?

I reinstalled from master and it appears to have the correct code now. I’m still seeing the issue with the value of 32 coming up for “everything” though.

I am using one of the new Tempest devices, so I wonder if things are different?

I just noticed that the sensors that are showing as 32 are all DEVICE_CLASS_TEMPERATURE.

It looks like based on their UDP docs, the format of observation data is different for Tempest vs Sky devices, so I’m guessing that’s part of the issue, but I haven’t actually figured out exactly how this all works, and I’ve never worked properly with Python or UDP, so… I guess it’ll be an adventure.

You are correct. With the introduction of the Tempest device they added a new format specifically for that device. This Component was written when I still had the Air and SKY units, so this will NOT work with TEMPEST.
Due to the lack of Hardware, I am not in the position to support this anymore, but if anyone wants to volunteer, I can add you to the Github project.

1 Like

I’m happy to take a shot at adding support, it looks like I’d need a new block to handle the obs_st format here.

I’ve never tried creating/editing integrations though, and I don’t even see where that dependency actually gets installs in Home Assistant. I’m running HA 0.110.5 (just upgraded this morning) on Hass OS 4.9 on a Pi4. I installed via HACS, and I don’t see anything being installed in config/deps which is where as far as I can tell, it should be going.

If I can figure out where that’s being installed, I can take a shot at getting support added.

I will give you some pointers in the morning so you can get startet and I will help. However this is written some time ago where my Python was very new, so I would recommend some rewrite.

Anyway, let me post something ASAP.

1 Like

Hey Bjarne -

I just received my Tempest yesterday and grabbed your integration and I’ve added the needed code to process the obs_st messages and it is functional now.

I am contemplating if I should do a PR into your repository or do a rewrite and try to simplify some of the code. I of course don’t have the older air/sky device though the messages look pretty straight forward.

1 Like

Hi Mark,
Great that you want to do this - I feel bad about abandoning this, so if you can help, that perfect. I honestly think this needs rewriting, maybe also use the Async Methods. Why don’t I put you on as contributor on both Github Projects, so that you can merge PR’s yourself. Or you can just fork it and create a new version. If you want me to put you on as contributor, I need your Github username.

I got my Tempest today and I installed this component to bring the data into my Home Assistant. Everything worked the first time !! Thanks @briis for developing this, though I know you have since moved on from the Weatherflow platform. I hope someone can take on your work and continue to refine this.

It would be great if there is a way to bring all the data in as a weather sensor (eg to replace Dark Sky).

I clearly must be doing something wrong, but I installed the newest integration, edited my config.yaml file as directed in the integration, but nothing (from the weather station) is showing up under entities. I have the correct ip address of the bridge in, tried with and without the sensors, and have restarted HA a number of times. Any suggestions?

I just had a single line for platform in mine. I’m on my phone so I cannot copy and paste to show you but it’s just the “-platform:” entry without any other options.

Seems you can’t create a new DarkSky account to get an API key anymore, thanks Apple :slight_smile:

Are there any alternatives like Weather Underground that could be used?

Thank you so much for this integration - just got my Tempest and it (mostly) worked straight away! The only problem I am seeing so far is that the sensor: “sensor.smartweatherudp_rain_today” does not appear to be working. Had rain today and my Tempest app shows that we got 0.33 - but the HA sensor is showing 0 - everything else seems good.

Thanks again!!!

Hi all,

I’m having trouble following the different repos, customizations necessary for a Tempest, and installation to get this working and would love some pointers from someone who has managed.

I got a Tempest to be able to use the local comms (UDP) rather than a system that is cloud dependent to get readings at home. I’ve had it up and running for a week and have spent this weekend trying to get it to integrate to HA. This is my first custom integration addition to HA.

Repos: Which is the best to start with? I see @briis has pysmartweatherudp, smartweatherudp and weatherflow. As I found this thread first, I started with the SmartWeatherUDP repo linked first. I could not get it to install via HACS and followed the manual method listed. While the config was valid, no new entities showed up. Also, not sure if @LuckyJay made changes somewhere?

The WeatherFlow repo seems to be more recent, though no installation details (also in one comment of the thread, it was mentioned there was an official integration, but that does not seem to be available anymore). Is this the best place to start? Any pointers on installation and yaml details? FWIW, I tried adding https://github.com/briis/weatherflow/tree/master/custom_components/weatherflow to the HACS repositories and nothing happened.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!
Chris

Hi CJ,
As I moved to a different Weather Platform, I stopped maintaining the WeatherflowUDP, but @LuckyJay made changes so that it should now work with the Tempest Station. If you add https://github.com/briis/smartweatherudp as a Custom Integration in HACS you should be able to install it through HACS. BUT this cannot be added through the Integration page, you have to add it manually to your yaml files as described in the Configuration section of the README on Github. Remember you have to restart HA after adding this.

Hope this works out.
/B

Hi @briis,

Thanks for getting back to me. I just went through the process a couple more times and now it seems to work…not sure why it didn’t before. I had to comment out the IP address of the Tempest and then it worked on last time through. One thing I will mention I haven’t been able to get working, which may be just doing it in the wrong place…when I try to add the code to check for updates into the configuration.yaml file, I get an error:
Component error: component_urls - Integration ‘component_urls’ not found.
Component error: custom_updater - Integration ‘custom_updater’ not found.
Does that go in a different file?

Also, for any others out there not familiar with the HA terminology described in the github readme, to install the repo, the path I took was:
Supervisor > Add-on Store > click on 3 dots in upper right > Repositories
Then add the link briis posted there. There no longer appears to be options when adding it, as suggested in the readme. Just add and go.

Now on to some weather dashboard configuring! Thanks for this cool custom integration.

Cheers,
-c

Hi CJ,
The Custom Updater does no longer exist, it has been replaced by HACS. So this need to be removed from the Documentation, and from your YAML.
Glad it works for you.

I was considering getting the Tempest, but since you’ve “moved on to other hardware”, I’m wondering what other weather stations I should look at?

To be fair: I have not tested the Tempest Unit as this is not currently shipped to where I live in Europe. I had/have the AIR and SKY units. And I actually still use the SKY unit as I pull UV and Solar data from that. I use a Davis Vantage VUE station, and is it connected to a datalogger called Meteobridge. The Davis stations are extremely reliable and accurate (and expensive). The Meteobrige component, is attached directly to the Console of the VUE and has a very broad amount of services from where you can send and pull data. I have made a HA Integration for that which can be found in HACS.

Let me be clear, I like what Weatherflow is doing and their Customer support is second to none, of what I have experienced - for me it was primarily the trouble I had with the first units that were shipped, that made me abandon it - I am sure the Tempest units are great and I would consider buying one if it would be available here.

1 Like

Thank you for the thoughtful and detailed reply. I’m still researching PWS options… so many choices and things to consider!