WeatherFlow Weather

@Lux4rd0 This really looks awesome! do you have the yaml for this available ?

@tom_l, another question.
How did you managed the layout. I think I have tried all the possibilities already.
The first and the last column I created with ā€œVertical stackā€, but I canā€™t get the middle part right.
This is what I already tried:
ā€“ 4 grids with one vertical stack each
ā€“ 2 grids with two vertical stacks each
ā€“ 1 grid with four vertical stacks
(with square cards)

The middle cards are always squeezed together. What Iā€™m doing wrong?

Start a new topic in the frontend category, This is off topic.

@kasdk3 Iā€™ll be posting shortly in a new thread the YAML and project that Iā€™m working on. Iā€™ve redone the four screens to fit a smaller Lilygo device rather than the larger Waveshare screen due to some ease of use. Iā€™m hoping to get something finished up for a first publication in the next week or so. Thanks!

eink2

1 Like

Hi,
Newbie here, so sorry if this has been covered before.
Iā€™m trying to use the integration and while it looked promising, once I add my Tempest Station-ID and Personal Use Token for my data it seems to finish OK as it finds my Tempest stationā€¦ On closer look however I get this logbook notification which shows up in the integration panel tooā€¦ Somethingā€™s probably wrong in my config but whatā€™s it telling me?

Config entry 'WeatherFlow Tempest' for weatherflow integration not ready yet: Error while retreiving data: Timeout fetching weatherflow data.; Retrying in background 4:42:02 PM ā€“ (WARNING) config_entries.py - message first occurred at 4:29:38 PM and shows up 2 times

Thanks,
Chuck

There can be several reasons for this error. The obvious ones are network connections, but often this is not case. It is typically an empty dataset, and that means that your station is not transmitting data to the WeatherFlow Servers. If you go here: Tempest API and Authorize using your Token, then try and pull some observation data. You can post it here and I can look at it.

You could try and restart your Hub and maybe event the Tempest Device itself, to see if that fixes it.

I tried resetting my hub and got email notifications regarding the station disconnect/reconnect so it seems to be communicating. I restarted Home Assistant and same error.

On the same machine running the HA image (virtualbox) I used this https request: https://swd.weatherflow.com/swd/rest/observations/station/[your_station_id]?token=[your_access_token]

and received the following:
{"station_id":35569,"station_name":"Motorcoach Dr","public_name":"Motorcoach Dr","latitude":28.17615,"longitude":-81.84299,"timezone":"America/New_York","elevation":44.52511978149414,"is_public":true,"status":{"status_code":0,"status_message":"SUCCESS"},"station_units":{"units_temp":"f","units_wind":"mph","units_precip":"in","units_pressure":"inhg","units_distance":"mi","units_direction":"cardinal","units_other":"imperial"},"outdoor_keys":["timestamp","barometric_pressure","station_pressure","pressure_trend","sea_level_pressure","precip","precip_accum_last_1hr","precip_accum_local_day","precip_accum_local_day_final","precip_accum_local_yesterday_final","precip_minutes_local_day","precip_minutes_local_yesterday_final","wind_avg","wind_direction","wind_gust","wind_lull","lightning_strike_last_epoch","lightning_strike_last_distance","lightning_strike_count","lightning_strike_count_last_1hr","lightning_strike_count_last_3hr"],"obs":[{"timestamp":1653487445,"barometric_pressure":1013.1,"station_pressure":1013.1,"sea_level_pressure":1019.2,"precip":0.0,"precip_accum_last_1hr":0.0,"precip_accum_local_day":0.0,"precip_accum_local_day_final":0.0,"precip_accum_local_yesterday":0.0,"precip_accum_local_yesterday_final":0.0,"precip_minutes_local_day":0,"precip_minutes_local_yesterday":0,"precip_minutes_local_yesterday_final":0,"precip_analysis_type_yesterday":0,"wind_avg":0.8,"wind_direction":179,"wind_gust":1.7,"wind_lull":0.2,"lightning_strike_last_epoch":1653361360,"lightning_strike_last_distance":41,"lightning_strike_count":0,"lightning_strike_count_last_1hr":0,"lightning_strike_count_last_3hr":0,"pressure_trend":"steady"}]}

Is there any debug log info I can check?

TIA, Chuck

There is something wrong with the data your station submits. It is missing basic data such as Temperature and Humidity, and that is why the Integration fails, as it expects this data to be present.

There might be something wrong with your Tempest device, but before you contact WeatherFlow support, I would try to power cycle the Tempest device itself.

Here is an extract from the Tempest Troubleshooting Guide:

Power cycle the Tempest sensor device: remove the base attachment, on the bottom of the unit, flip the switch off for a moment and then back on. You should see a quickly flashing green LED if the device reconnects to the Hub successfully.

OK, getting further as it seemed to have gotten past the configuration issue. There seems to be a problem in my HA / server config as I now get a timeout indication. I played around with the Virtualbox VM instance network, CPU and memory config but no change. I will try another HA test install on a separate server to see if thereā€™s a difference and try to isolate. Thanks for your help!

Thanks for the update cant wait to see it!

As a side note, how did you make the last picture in your post? Is it just a cropped picture of the screen or some kind of generated preview?

I contacted Weatherflow and they see a hardware issue and are sending me a new station module. Thank you for finding this. If the above noted error is indeed due to lack of complete data being received, may I make a suggestion for the future? Instead of a simple timeout fething error, is it possible to detect that there is missing data and display something like ā€œreceived station data was incomplete, check station deviceā€? Maybe even troubleshooting info can be added such as your suggestion to check the raw data or station status to ensure complete weatherflow data is being sent.

Regarding the picture: On Windows 10, I used the crop feature previously know as the snipping tool. Press Windows Logo Key + Shift + S and use your mouse to highlight the area to snip.

Thank You again. Will let you know when I get my replacement station and try again.
Chuck

Glad we found the root of the issue, and that there is a fix underway to you.

Instead of a simple timeout fething error, is it possible to detect that there is missing data and display something like ā€œreceived station data was incomplete, check station deviceā€?

I like the idea, and something like this could be implemented. It might not catch all occurences of this, but most of them. Could I ask you to create an Issue on Github for this, so that it wonā€™t be forgotten.?

I opened an issue on Github. Weatherflow support was great! I am supposed to have the replacement station later today!

Thanks again,
Chuck

1 Like

OK, got my replacement station and am now able to connect!

Thank You!
Chuck

Perfect. Have fun :pray:t3:

Any way you can share the yaml for this?

I think they were replying to me. Sorry I no longer have that page I disposed of my Weatherflow. Too inaccurate for my liking. Rain (compared to a physical gauge next to it) was all over the place. Too high in high falls and too low for low falls. The wind readings were too low, the lux measurements were too slow, and the feels like temperature was useless (some weird US version).

Ohhhh - what did you replace it with?? My wind readings have always been low but I thought that was because of placement. Iā€™ve heard from a few other WeatherFlow folks that have migrated on as wellā€¦ (Dropped the message as youā€™re right about the response intentā€¦)

Data from the official Bureau of Meteorology station 5km away from me, a DIY ESPHome Lux sensor on my roof and the Blitzortung integration.

I compared the rain data from the BoM station to my physical dumb rain gauge for a couple of weeks. Even allowing for the fact that it was 5km away it was still far more accurate than the Weatherflow.

I also added the Air-visual integration (air quality index) but it is a bit vague. I can smell woodsmoke some cold days but the AQI barely budges. So I purchased one of these https://sensirion.com/products/catalog/SEK-SEN5x/ which is supported by ESPHome. I just have to figure out the mechanical installation.

1 Like

Hello, possibly a stupid question. Can you use this HA Integration with a temptest station you dont own? My neighbor appears to have one and would just like to pull in his dataā€¦ I am assuming not according to the readme:

Please Note : The Token you create here will ONLY work with Stations that are registered under the same Login.

But thought I would check if Iā€™m missing something.