WeatherFlow Weather

Yes you can use it. Supervised has the same features as OS but just uses Debian OS.

1 Like

@briis - quick question on the ability to access entity state attributes. They seem to be stored as YAML and I’m wanting to pull out items in the forecast in order to populate an ESPHome display. For example:

weather.weatherflow_day_based_forecast gives me a state of “partlycloudy” but I want to use the other attributes, specifically the forecast data for each day:

temperature: 39.6
humidity: 88
pressure: 29.932
wind_bearing: 343
wind_speed: 1
visibility: 2.7
forecast: 
- condition: partlycloudy
  precipitation: 0
  precipitation_probability: 10
  temperature: 42.8
  templow: 35.6
  datetime: '2022-03-24T05:00:00+00:00'
  wind_bearing: 264
  wind_speed: 4.5

Do you know how this can be done? Would it make sense to populate that data into its own sensor?

Thanks!

How do you want to use them?

In automation triggers?

Lovelace display?

A lot of things can be done without creating template sensors for the attributes.

I want to use the current day and next two days of each of those forecasts to show on an e-ink display. The way that it’s normally done is outlined like this:

sensor:
  - platform: homeassistant
    id: current_temperature
    entity_id: weather.weatherflow_day_based_forecast
    attribute: forecast

But this returns the YAML response. I’m not sure if there’s a programmatic way of parsing the YAML (or converting it to JSON) that may do the same thing. If I was just after something like the temperature or humidity then I could use:

sensor:
  - platform: homeassistant
    id: current_temperature
    entity_id: weather.weatherflow_day_based_forecast
    attribute: humidity

But it’s still not selecting a specific date.

I’m experimenting a bit with what’s actually available with the integration. I wrote my own standalone WeatherFlow collector but I’m really curious how to tie this one into my displays. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

I seem to have skipped over this part:

Sorry.

I see what you are asking now.

I think you are going to have to create template sensors in home assistant as although the ESPHome homeassistant sensor supports attributes it does not support selecting an attribute from an unordered list depending on the value of another attribute in the list (the date). I’ve actually forgotten how to do this but there are examples somewhere on this forum. I’ve set a bookmark to remind me to search later. A bit time poor at the moment.

1 Like

The forecast data is an array, so to get specific data points from that you can use a Template sensor or similar. Let us say you want to get the condition value from the second day in the forecast, then you would use:

{{ state_attr('weather.weatherflow_day_based_forecast', 'forecast')[1].condition }}

Note the number 1: As this is a zero based array, 1 is the second item in the list. So just change the day number and the field name, to get what you need. Hope this pushes you in the right direction.

2 Likes

@briis and @tom_l - ah thanks!! Let me try that! I made a super quick command-line JSON template to fetch the forecast data and toss it into some sensors - incrementing a forecast from 0, 1, 2, 3 - etc. for each day I wanted to use the attributes from. If I can make this kind of template example work that would be great! I was missing the syntax example for sure!! Will share the results shortly…

1 Like

Yep!! Good to go!!! Thanks for the help on this!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

If the days are always in order that makes it easy. Nicely designed.

Just FYI you can also fill all the sensors in one resource call with the new rest integration.

Nice display too!

2 Likes

I really like your dashboard :slight_smile:

I have a couple of questions:

• how do you pull “Rain Last Hour”?
  • do you save the “daily rain” separately to then present it in the diagram?
  • how do you pull “Weatherflow is Lightning”?
  • how do you pull “Weatherflow is raining”?
  • how do you extend “Battery Level” over a couple of days and not only one day?
  • and lastly, how do you present that nice wind direction arrow?

Thanks a lot! :+1:

It’s one of the available sensors from the integration.
No, I just use Apexcharts to create a weekly graph grouped by day. All the data comes from the recorder database.
I use the mini-graph card to graph a week’s worth of data from the recorder database.
With this Compass Card - Points you in the right direction 🧭

1 Like

Thank you. I use weatherflow2mqtt and just found, that not all entities that you have with weatherflow weather, also exist in the weatherflow2mqtt integration.

That compass card is beautiful, thx

The integration being discussed is not weatherflow2mqtt. It has more sensors. See the first post in this topic.

@briis and @tom_l - I ran down a rabbit hole with the details that you provided. Thank you so much!! I’m now almost finished with a few more screen pages.

I still have a little more work to do to clean some things up. I think I’m also almost at the limits of how many sensors I can reliably grab from HA as well since I have to baby the firmware updates and some other interesting configurations. But it’s been fun!!

1 Like

Looks really good, thanks for sharing. What is the HW you are doing this on? (Can’t remember if you already posted that)

A post was merged into an existing topic: WeatherFlow to MQTT Setup

3 posts were split to a new topic: WeatherFlow to MQTT Setup

Hi @tom_l, this is a very nice dashboard, I love it. I’m trying to rebuild it and have already been able to implement some of it.
Would you be so kind and maybe explain how you realized the middle cards with min, max and the time? Did you also use the Mini-Graph-Cards for this? How would the YAML code look like? Could you post an example? I am very new to Home Assistant and unfortunately have no programming skills.

Best regards
Dirk

Yes, mini-graph card:

color_thresholds:
  - color: '#e45e65'
    value: 30
  - color: '#e0b400'
    value: 20
  - color: '#0da035'
    value: 10
  - color: '#039BE5'
    value: -50