Weber iGrill 2 integration with Lovelace UI

Tried it with v3 iGrill. Loosing connection very often. Got one reading and then lost connection again. After several attempts to reconnect, I get another reading. But with very strange measurements. 6534,00 C

This is great, thank you.

Thatā€™s weird. My V3 works great.
What HW are you using?
And does the logs give any hints to what might be failing?

The igrill component does not disconnect anywhere, so this might be an issue between the HW (ESP32) and ESPHomeā€¦

I just fixed a bug where the unplugged probes could get weird values. If you got the 6534,00 C value on the ones that did not have a probe, this might have been the issue.

The fix is on the main branch. I have a couple of other bugs to fix before I make a release.

Does anyone know if the new (active scanning) Bluetooth integration works with iGrill?

I have connected the 202 version to the ESP implementation and that is working. Thank you very much!

On first and second try, it was not working. Then I connected back to the weber app, disabled Bluetooth on my phone and then tried to connect it to the ESP32 and that worked. Now every time I start the thermometer it connects to the EPS32 without problems.

1 Like

Iā€™ve just spent a bunch of time trying to get this working but with no luck; it seems like the ESPHome Bluetooth Proxy doesnā€™t allow for paired/bonded connections, which is required for the iGrill. I was able to get to a point where my custom integration would be able to list the characteristics on the iGrill device, but couldnā€™t read any of the battery or temperature sensor data.

But Iā€™m also a real newbie when it comes to both Home Assistant integrations and Bluetooth development, so there could be something Iā€™m missing which could make it work. Iā€™ve pushed where Iā€™ve gotten so far to Github in case anybody wants to try taking over, but Iā€™ve reached the extent of my own skills on this one!

Iā€™m going to swap over to the ESPHome solution for now instead.

@bendikwa I just tried your new ESPHome integration and it worked seamlessly! From start to finish it took less than 10 minutes to get my iGrill v2 integrated. Thank you!

1 Like

Suddenly got problems with igrill_ble_listener:. Getting no info at all and I know I have several BLE- devices running

Anyone got the same problem

Sorry to bother you again.

I have now succeeded in setting up @bendikwa ESP home integration. I connect to the iGrill3 and I get readings. But after one reading I get the following message in the log

WARNING esphome-web-dfc734.local: Connection error occurred: [Errno 104] Connection reset by peer
INFO Disconnected from ESPHome API for esphome-web-dfc734.local
WARNING Disconnected from API

And the pairing session starts again and succeeds and I get readings again and the the same thing happens.

I use ESP32 dev boards and have tried 3 different types.

the rest of my ESPhome devices function without problems, so I think my wifi network is ok

Anybody got an idea to solve this

For me this works perfectly - v2 (still need to change sensor names).

I question though, it reports Fahrenheit supposedly based on my settings - 18 degrees though is correct for Celsius and coincides with the display ( this is an indoor temperature :slight_smile: )

Any thoughts on how to change? Or should I do this in HA? Note, HA ā€œreceivesā€ -7.8 C (which is 18 Fahrenheit)

[14:49:03][I][igrill:256]: Setting temperature unit based on device: Ā°F
[14:50:54][D][igrill:326]: Requesting read of all probe values
[14:50:56][D][sensor:127]: 'IGrill v3 battery': Sending state 70.00000 % with 0 decimals of accuracy
[14:50:56][D][sensor:127]: 'IGrill v3 temp 1': Sending state 18.00000 Ā°F with 2 decimals of accuracy
[14:50:57][D][sensor:127]: 'IGrill v3 temp 2': Sending state 0.00000 Ā°F with 2 decimals of accuracy
[14:50:58][D][sensor:127]: 'IGrill v3 temp 3': Sending state 0.00000 Ā°F with 2 decimals of accuracy
[14:50:58][D][sensor:127]: 'IGrill v3 temp 4': Sending state 0.00000 Ā°F with 2 decimals of accuracy

Looking at the recent changes to HA in relation to the bluetooth implementation (pairing was added to BT Proxy / ESPHOME by @jagheterfredrik ) your initial efforts might be more successful now.

Could be! Iā€™ll give it another try when I get a free weekend.

I have converted my ESP32 from the old project into the new ESPhome based version. In my logs - everything looks good - I have 1 probed plugged in and it is reading the room temperature - 72 F:

[21:15:09][D][igrill:274]: Requesting read of all probe values
[21:15:09][D][sensor:094]: 'IGrill v2 battery': Sending state 76.00000 % with 0 decimals of accuracy
[21:15:09][D][sensor:094]: 'IGrill v2 temp 1': Sending state 72.00000 Ā°F with 2 decimals of accuracy
[21:15:09][D][sensor:094]: 'IGrill v2 temp 2': Sending state 0.00000 Ā°F with 2 decimals of accuracy
[21:15:09][D][sensor:094]: 'IGrill v2 temp 3': Sending state 0.00000 Ā°F with 2 decimals of accuracy
[21:15:09][D][sensor:094]: 'IGrill v2 temp 4': Sending state 0.00000 Ā°F with 2 decimals of accuracy

But in HA it reports as 23.3 C. Like another persons above the unplugged probes are reporting at -18 C in HA.

I would think this is more of an HA issue than the code in the ESP32 but I am not sure how to fix it. Can anyone help me?

I just made a v1.1 release that, among other things, should set temperature unit automatically based on what your iGrill device is set to.

1 Like

If I understand you correctly, your device is set to Celsius, and the reading of 18 is correct (in Celsius), but the code falsely detects the unit as Fahrenheit?

I am not sure if this is the same issue as the 18C issue.
If I understand correctly your device is set to Fahrenheit, and the temperature in the log is correctly red as Fahrenheit, but in HA it is displayed in Celsius (but you want it to be Fahrenheit?)

Does all your other HA temperatures show correctly in Fahrenheit?

Blockquote
If I understand correctly your device is set to Fahrenheit, and the temperature in the log is correctly red as Fahrenheit, but in HA it is displayed in Celsius (but you want it to be Fahrenheit?)

Yes. My device is set to Fahrenheit and itā€™s local readout matches what is displayed in the logs and HA seems to force it to Celsius.

Probe 1 was reading 63 F on the igrill and in the logs but in HA it is converted to 18.3 C. Probes 2-4 are reporting 0 like they should in the logs but it seems that HA takes that 0 F and converts it to -17.78 C as well.

This is the only device I have that would report in Fahrenheit as I live in Canada. I am just used to Fahrenheit when cooking meat.

[10:14:57][D][igrill:274]: Requesting read of all probe values
[10:14:57][D][sensor:094]: 'IGrill v2 battery': Sending state 72.00000 % with 0 decimals of accuracy
[10:14:58][D][sensor:094]: 'IGrill v2 temp 1': Sending state 63.00000 Ā°F with 2 decimals of accuracy
[10:14:58][D][sensor:094]: 'IGrill v2 temp 2': Sending state -0.00000 Ā°F with 2 decimals of accuracy
[10:14:58][D][sensor:094]: 'IGrill v2 temp 3': Sending state -0.00000 Ā°F with 2 decimals of accuracy
[10:14:58][D][sensor:094]: 'IGrill v2 temp 4': Sending state -0.00000 Ā°F with 2 decimals of accuracy

I found the solution for my problem. I went to each entity and set it to Fahrenheit. My global HA settings default to Celsius.

Hopefully this helps someone else in the future. Great project @ bendikwa - I really appreciate you sharing this with us!

1 Like

Issue has gone away after I upgraded to the main branch last week. Thanks for checking in though!

1 Like