Webhooks, the biggest mystery

Hi,

I am sorry, but I don’t understand how I can troubleshoot this thing. I am getting lots of warnings for unregistered webhooks. Like one below:

> Logger: homeassistant.components.webhook
> Source: components/webhook/__init__.py:92
> Integration: Webhook (documentation, issues)
> First occurred: 17:27:21 (11 occurrences)
> Last logged: 17:33:46
> 
> Received message for unregistered webhook 2557f256fcd5b8ec64a30341e7043129a0717df6c399a86d5aa9e5b1156ef77b from 10.0.1.99

How can I find out what is triggering this?

what’s that

This the local ip address of HA.

that doesn’t make sense, that should be an internal IP then

Well, I don’t know what is causing this and how to solve it.

This is why I asked for clues…

it’s something on your HA machine, but not HA and not internal to HA. Otherwise it would have a docker IP. Unless it’s just lazily set to local_host and resolving the IP, which is probable now that I think about it. It’s going to be hard to figure out because HA won’t know where it came from.

is that a warning or error? If it’s a warning, the webhook is probably still creating the event. Try subscribing to webhook events and seeing what comes through.

It is a warning, shows up every few minutes:

How can I subscribe to webhook event?

Dev tools → events tab.

This doesn’t return any additional information in the logs.

I too had a challenge finding this a while ago,
then I remembered i disabled some of the entities from mobile phone i did not need.

However, it turned out the mobile uses webhooks to update the battery status…

So worth a check on disabled phone entities ?
:thinking:

you aren’t subscribing to it. see that box that says “Event to subscribe to”, enter webhook there.

That could be it, but it would be coming from outside HA. I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure that’s what we’d see.

Again, sorry for dumb question, is it going to be webhook or webhook ID?

looks like it’s just webhook, from what I can find with a quick Google…

@sloma Are you sure that is HA’s ip address?
It could then be an addon (try disable them to see which one it is)
If it is an ip on your network, try switching off your mobile(s), and check if the problem disappears…

1 Like

Yes, that’s the local ip, I can access HA this way on my local network.

I wonder if it has something to do with Reolink and Frigate… both are custom integrations and started to behave strange today…

BTW, I enabled all the mobile sensors in the companion app, but I am still getting webhook warnings - nothing changed, apparently.

you should first disable the sensor in the mobile app so it knows to stop sending that data :slight_smile:

So the error can also happen if for example you removed a mobile app integration. The easiest way to clear this error is to start fresh with the app and integration. It happens when users remove things on accident that are linked to the apps. I have a bunch of android devices here so sometimes it takes me longer to find the faulty device.

If you have access to .storage in your config directory you can check if its caused by mobile app by looking to see if the webhook ID exists in the mobile_app file in .storage

If this is an android device follow these steps: Troubleshooting | Home Assistant Companion Docs

3 Likes

OK, I tried disabling and enabling sensors in the companion app, no change.

Next thing, removed mobile_app, and started from scratch with the mobile app, no change.

I really think webhooks need better troubleshooting options, and definitely more user-friendly. This is so obscure… Seriously, this very frustrating.

how about confirming if the webhook ID did indeed come from the mobile app first?

This is a major pain in the… but I finally narrowed it down to motion eye add-on, reconfiguring it solved it.

Still, I think there should be an easier way to do it. Thanks for all the good tips.