WebSocket Connection without Token/User (via trusted_networks)?

Hey everyone,

I originally asked this at AppDaemon, but it seems to be more a HA thing.

I am working on an easy (dev) setup using docker-compose. For that, I would like to have the app-daemon connect to my home-assistant instance without configuring anything more (i.e., the access token).

I thought this might be possible with the trusted_networks-configuration, but I’m getting only errors indicating the authorization did not work:
AD: WARNING HASS: Disconnected from Home Assistant, retrying in 5 seconds
HA: Disconnected: Did not receive auth message within 10 seconds.

I have had a look at HA’s WebSocket code, and a connection seems to be coupled to a specific user (even though I do not get why this is, and it should not be necessary for AD?). Of course, this user must be selected somehow, and for that, an access token is needed. Even if I could get around that, I’d still need an active user in HA.

So, I guess the best way to deal with it is to have data for a “dev setup” (e.g., users, tokens) and copy it every time I want to create a new dev instance. It seems a bit cumbersome, though, as I can’t have “the infrastructure” (i.e., HA, AD, Z2M) entirely set up without entering data (i.e., users).

So, my question is: is there a reason, WebSocket connections require a user (and do not work with trusted IPs)? Am I’m thinking in the wrong direction here (regarding my dev setup in general)?