Wemo switches unavailable in HASS but can still be controlled by mobile Wemo app

Occasionally, some Wemo switches in Home Assistant gray out in the dashboard showing they are unavailable, yet they remain available and controllable from the Wemo iOS app.

Restarting the Wemo switch does resolve the immediate problem, but it eventually happens again.

The issue seems most common with the Wemo Light Switch 2nd Gen (WLS040) and and Wemo Smart Light Switch 3-Way (WLS0403), and seems rare if at all with the Wemo Smart Dimmer Switch (WDS060).

Using a Unifi WAP with a dedicated 2.4GHz SSID. All devices get their IP address from a DHCP server, but are reserved for each device. The network management interface is not showing any troubles with connections from the Wemo devices being affected.

I’m having the same problem. I have a node-red automation that pings all of the switches and tracks the ones that are down. The switches are up, the Wemo Android app sees them, but they come and go in HA.

2 Likes

Still happening. This is an example from the logs. Any ideas?

2021-12-12 17:14:18 ERROR (Wemo Events Thread) [pywemo.ouimeaux_device] Unable to reconnect with Bathroom Fan

2021-12-12 17:14:18 WARNING (Wemo Events Thread) [pywemo.subscribe] Resubscribe error for <Subscription basicevent "Downstairs Bathroom Fan"> (HTTPConnectionPool(host='192.168.7.97', port=49153): Max retries exceeded with url: /upnp/event/basicevent1 (Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.HTTPConnection object at 0x7f5dfd9610>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 111] Connection refused'))), will retry in 60s

2021-12-12 17:14:18 ERROR (Wemo Events Thread) [pywemo.ouimeaux_device] Unable to re-probe wemo <WeMo LightSwitch "Downstairs Bathroom Fan"> at 192.168.7.97

2021-12-12 17:14:23 ERROR (Wemo Events Thread) [pywemo.ouimeaux_device] Unable to reconnect with Downstairs Bathroom Fan

2021-12-12 17:14:29 WARNING (SyncWorker_7) [urllib3.connectionpool] Retrying (Retry(total=0, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.HTTPConnection object at 0x7f89acd640>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 111] Connection refused')': /upnp/control/basicevent1

2021-12-12 17:14:29 WARNING (SyncWorker_7) [pywemo.ouimeaux_device.api.service] Error communicating with Downstairs Bathroom Fan at 192.168.7.97:49153, HTTPException(MaxRetryError("HTTPConnectionPool(host='192.168.7.97', port=49153): Max retries exceeded with url: /upnp/control/basicevent1 (Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.HTTPConnection object at 0x7f53027760>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 111] Connection refused'))")) retry 1

2021-12-12 17:14:29 ERROR (SyncWorker_7) [pywemo.ouimeaux_device] Unable to re-probe wemo <WeMo LightSwitch "Downstairs Bathroom Fan"> at 192.168.7.97

2021-12-12 17:14:34 ERROR (SyncWorker_7) [pywemo.ouimeaux_device] Unable to reconnect with Downstairs Bathroom Fan

2021-12-12 17:14:34 WARNING (SyncWorker_7) [urllib3.connectionpool] Retrying (Retry(total=5, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.HTTPConnection object at 0x7f5a6f29d0>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 111] Connection refused')': /upnp/control/basicevent1

2021-12-12 17:14:38 WARNING (SyncWorker_7) [urllib3.connectionpool] Retrying (Retry(total=4, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.HTTPConnection object at 0x7f8d543940>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 111] Connection refused')': /upnp/control/basicevent1

I have been having this problem for several months. I have restored and rebuilt the switches, same results. I have even replaced my old network with a new Eero WiFi 6 mesh system; same results.

I have about 50 Wemos total. My V2 (single and 3-way) light switches are the most susceptible to the problems.

V1 light switches also randomly and individually lose connection occasionally, same with Wemo V2 Mini plugs (the small but very wide plugs) however they are far more reliable.

99% of the time restarting the switches resolves the problem for a little while.

Interestingly I have found that affected Wemos still work in HomeKit as well as the Wemo app, however Alexa loses connection just like Home Assistant does.

Would love a fix for this problem.

1 Like

I opened a bug report here- Wemo switches unavailable in HASS but still controllable by mobile Wemo app · Issue #62224 · home-assistant/core · GitHub

1 Like

I had been having all of the above problems. The wemo switches simply would not stay available in HA. I was very close to pulling out all 11 switches, I run a ubiquity WLAN and had already set up a separate SID with the intention of separating out all the IOT devices on its on VLAN. Still planning to do this.

I disabled everything that was turned on from a WIFI perspective. This ended up being 3 things:
Fast roaming
BSS tranlastion with MNW
Data Rate Control

I’m not sure which item made the different, but the switches have been rock solid for more than 2 weeks now. Just thought I’d share. It may be worth standing up a separate SID/AP if you have this problem.

All in all, I won’t be buying any more WEMO devices.

John, this is very interesting! When you say “SID” I presume you mean SSID? Which model of Ubiquity are you getting this level of control? I have 35+ Wemo devices so getting this under control is a very high priority.

I spoke too soon. I had problems again over the weekend, but it turned out to be a couple of things. I ended up with the changes I described, DHCP reserved IPs, plus adding discovery = true to the wemo config in home assistant. I then had to restart all the switches, and everything is available again.

I got this idea from another home automation platform support forum. It described a problem where wemo switches change ports, and thus the platform was losing connectivity. It took me a bit to realize that I had turned discovery off.

sorry… yes SSID.

I believe any of the unifi kit can be controlled at this level.

The APs are
U6-Mesh-EAU
AP-FlexHD
UAP-AC-Pro

Multiple of their switches and a dream machine pro.

I am having a similar problem with my wemo devices (1 on/off switch, 1 3-way switch and 4 dimmer switches). These all worked extremely reliably after initial installation. At some point, most of them have developed this behavior. In my case, I realized that I had made some recent name changes for some of these devices. I have a strong suspicion that even with a full reset on these devices, that remnants of the prior configuration remain on the Belkin web site and that these remnants are the main cause of these persistent issues.

I also would very much like to get this resolved as it is a major annoyance!

There is an open ticket on these Wemo devices but no one has picked it up.

I couldn’t get Wemo mini to show up at all so I wrote an HTTP-base subflow that works. I don’t have a dimmer and therefore can help with that.

Wemo Switch HTTP implementation