Wemos S2 mini - This board doesn't support arduino framework!

I am trying to install ESPHome on Wemos S2 mini board with this basic config:

esphome:
  name: test

esp32:
  board: esp32-s2-saola-1
  framework:
    type: arduino

logger:

api:

ota:

wifi:
  ssid: !secret wifi_ssid
  password: !secret wifi_password

captive_portal:

the build fails with:
HARDWARE: ESP32S2 240MHz, 320KB RAM, 4MB Flash
Error: This board doesn’t support arduino framework!

Is that board not supported or am I using the wrong board type?
Thanks

by the looks of it this board is still not fully implemented - I have managed to get it running with:

esp32:
  board: esp32-s2-saola-1
  framework:
    version: 2.0.3
    platform_version: 4.4.0

However looking at the esphome log files I can see it complaining:

INFO Reading configuration /config/esphome/test.yaml...
WARNING The selected Arduino framework version is not the recommended one. If there are connectivity or build issues please remove the manual version.
WARNING The selected Arduino framework version is not the recommended one. If there are connectivity or build issues please remove the manual version.
INFO Starting log output from 111.222.333.444 using esphome API
INFO Successfully connected to 111.222.333.444
[14:58:04][I][app:102]: ESPHome version 2022.8.0 compiled on Sep 30 2022, 14:56:22

after further digging and testing I found this works without any errors:

esp32:
  board: lolin_s2_mini
  variant: esp32s2
  framework:
    version: 2.0.3
    platform_version: 4.4.0

Any updates on this thread? The BME680 won’t compile with the Bosh lib.

Hello,
I tried to use this configuration but it failed.

INFO ESPHome 2023.11.6
INFO Reading configuration /config/esphome/ld2410-ingresso.yaml...
INFO Generating C++ source...
INFO Compiling app...
Processing ld2410-ingresso (board: lolin_s2_mini; framework: arduino; platform: platformio/[email protected])
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tool Manager: Installing espressif/toolchain-riscv32-esp @ 8.4.0+2021r2-patch3
INFO Installing espressif/toolchain-riscv32-esp @ 8.4.0+2021r2-patch3
UnknownPackageError: Could not find the package with 'espressif/toolchain-riscv32-esp @ 8.4.0+2021r2-patch3' requirements for your system 'linux_aarch64'

Any suggestion on how to solve it on my Raspberry Pi4?
thanks

LOL

i just post this week end : https://community.home-assistant.io/t/solved-esphome-maximum-pulse-counter-sensors-on-a-esp32-s2-mini/649372

the implementation of this board is still in developpement (look at the ESPHOME doc)

and its completly buggy in EspHome,

i noticed 2 things : you can duplicate the same GPIO in the code and EspHome generate ANY errors : LOOOL

Second, for my application use, i have 5 pulse-counter sensors connected to this board and the last sensor in the code is always “Unknown”. If i change the order of the sensor, always the last one doesnt work. So it works for only 4 sensors. 4 pulse-counter sensor i mean, i dont try others multi sensor config.

Lost a few hours on this, nobody reply, i switch to a ESP32-DevKit v1 like my 60 or 65 others Esphome Node, and it works straight after the 1st connexion to my home wifi…

So…dont waste your time and change your ESP32 board…for the moment, because this board is tiny and powerfull but seems have lack of interest to the EspHome devs…who i dont blame at all, because so many sensors and boards to implement…just a normal situation, no problem.

You can switch to a Wemos Esp32 if you want little form factor and needs of a lot of pins :wink: