What are the best options for mmWave currently?

So I’m looking to get into mmWave for presence detection and am wondering what people have found to be the best ones.

I was looking between Aqara, Tuya, and DIY. From what I can tell the FP2 looks like the most advanced but is tied to the Aqara app/cloud which isn’t ideal. And it’s a lot more expensive. The Tuya ZY-M100 is much cheaper and can be ordered with zigbee but has less functionality. Most of the DIY stuff I’ve seen is similar to the Tuya in functionality but ESP based (which I have plenty of laying around at the moment so would probably be cheaper than either with just ordering some mmWave sensors and printing a few cases).

Are there any options I’m overlooking? What have you guys had the best success with? Are there any DIY options with functionality like zones and whatnot with the FP2?

1 Like

It works fully local once setup

1 Like

That’s good at least. I can live with initial setup with an app and then local.

But they’re still pretty expensive, even on AliExpress the FP2 is $69 vs $14 for the tuya. (or $90 vs $30 on Amazon). Though I really only need the advanced features in two areas of the house where the zones would be helpful, so maybe could go with them there and tuya other places.

And worth every penny.

I won’t buy anything that has Tuya in the name. Even the Zigbee stuff.

I really like the ESP+LD2410C combo. DIY is about $5 for the ESP and sensor but you’ll need to figure out a case. If you have a 3D printer, access to one, or are willing to use a service, they can be printed. I have model files for using either an S2 Mini or C3 Supermini on Printables. Alternatively, you can buy preconfigured ones from SCREEK. The downside is no zones (if that’s a requirement) and a bit of tweaking to get the sensitivity dialed in. There’s plenty of folks that can help with the latter.

The Tuya sensors are alright, but their lack of sensitivity adjustment means you have to experiment quite a bit with placement. They are extremely chatty so get a few going and you may run into stability issues if you go the ZigBee route.

I have an FP2 but honestly haven’t messed with it much since I don’t have a use for the zone functions.

EDIT: just saw you mentioned printing cases. Here’s my page on Printables with the models for the two setups I mentioned above.

https://www.printables.com/@FriedCheese20_596762

1 Like

LD2450 + esp.
Currently using this solution to exclude zone (for interference like fans/ac in the room) since it can track up to 3 targets.
I wouldn’t say the best but it does the job just fine without having to splurge for the fp2

Just to throw in another option take a look at the Everything Presence One…

Everybody I’ve seen that got one loves it and it combines a PIR and mmWave sensor in one device to speed up detection. Its maybe pricey but might be a good choice for a specific location you may have in mind.

The FP2 works great. Love the zone detection on it. But honestly I don’t really use that. I just really want to know if somebody is in the room or not. Maybe I need to come up with some ideas.

1 Like

I would love to see an update to the EP1 to add zones like the FP2. I would far prefer purchasing one of those, even at a high price tag, for a guarantee of all local and no cloud even for setup!

I know he was working on that in a new device. Doesn’t look as pretty as the FP2 and only tracks up to 3 targets but still looks good.

I just joined the Discord for Everything Smart Home and did find that there’s a beta firmware for the EP1 that adds in tracking of up to 4 target zones. Looks like the zones are stacked from closest to the sensor to most distant with the ability to set the start / stop of the zone, but not side to side :frowning: so the FP2 still wins on zone management.

I’ll likely get a second FP2 so that I can zone off my great room (kitchen, dining room, living room) which is an odd shape but something that I can nearly 100% cover if I place the sensor in the right place, but it does mean some side to side zone management.

1 Like

How does side to side work? Maybe some visuals for that

Any of these offer fall detection as of today?

I have seen someone mentioned that this feature would be available on FP2… are we there yet?
Any one else?

This is my fp2.

That said. The fall detect sensor does not seem to carry into HA (or I can’t see where it does.) I belive that’s Aquara app only at the moment. I’ve also heard mixed results on its fall sensitivity but I haven’t had the opportunity to try.

Take for instance the FP2. With the app you “draw” the zones in their detection zone editor and they are squares. So, you have a zones that have limits defined by distance from the sensor in both an x and a y axis with the y axis being how far away from the sensor you are and the x being how far to either the left or the right (side to side) of the sensor you are.

Basically the FP2 is plotting a 2d coordinate for all entities. That’s what’s missing from the EP1, even in the beta firmware from what I was reading yesterday. All you get is distance (the y axis) for your bounding zones.

1 Like

Seems there are a lot of HLK-LD24x0 modules out there. Some have 2 antennae, others 6. -LD2410B, -LD2410C, -LD2420, LD2450.

Anyone have experience with more than one? Any modules to watch out for?

Thanks!

1 Like