SCREEK Home Assistant 24Ghz FMCW WiFi Human Presence Detector Radar 1U

We are pleased to share with you that as an open source hardware, it has gained a lot of popularity and is considered to be effective and able to be used as a smart body detector in many user tests.

This handmade radar took us a long time to optimize, and at the end, with the help of esphome’s technology and a lot of help from everyone, we made them quite small. It is also quite convenient in connecting to Home Assistant.

Although it is difficult for the homemade hardware to reach the same level as the commercial hardware in some aspects, we believe that with proper optimization, the compact hardware can also make Home Assistant better.

Awareness of international logistics is challenging and we currently ship to Germany, USA, UK, Hungary, India and other countries. They will take anywhere from roughly 8-16 business days, so it’s a wonderful thing about that, too.

But it’s a fascinating journey in the wonderful environment of Home Assistant.

All esphome source code and also the stl print source code files are located at:

1 Like

Source then please :slight_smile:

hellp,They are here:

Thanks, I see you have added it to the first post now, thanks.

No PCB in there I guess.

Since the modules used are quite small and have been tested for stability through extensive use. On this design we are not using pcb. but we are planning to do some zigbee gadgets on which we will only use pcb.
Anyway, we found the process of trying this interesting.

The home assistant is always surprising and it has changed our life a lot. We hope to make some custom hardware for it.

1 Like

Just got mine in the mail today! I see there is a 1U and a 1W? I"m not sure which one I have. Also there is a yaml for with uart and without? Not sure which one I should flash to try it out

@screek-workshop
I got the 1U today and it works fine, but what if it needs updating?
Can this sensor be compiled with the ESPHome that is inside HomeAssistant?
What to do with the extra files in the screek-mod-components subdirectory?

1u is the square representing the micro.
1w represents the wifi version, the large round one.

uart’s is preferred, but will have certain requirements for esphome’s version.

Glad to hear it’s working really well!
Here’s how ota flashes the firmware:

Yes, you can modify the firmware yourself, that directory please download it from github and just put it into the config directory together.

@screek-workshop Where can the factory OTA bin files be downloaded from?

the ota firmware for 1u:

How do I transfer the updated yaml file found on your GitHub to the device itself?

use esphome web tool, and connect the radar to pc, can work.

I just got 6 of these and these are my first ESPHome devices. Wow, this could not be a simpler setup process. Plug in, choose SSID, enter password and click add when it pops up in HA. I haven’t really tested this “in production” as I plan on using them at a house currently being renovated, but looking forward to seeing if this can get me away from my existing z-wave IR battery powered motion sensors that I don’t love.

@screek-workshop I noticed the version on my device (2023.5.1) is different than the version posted above. Is there a reason the firmware is posted on dropbox instead of github? Thanks!

1 Like

Glad you received them! And yes, we like it better than pir too.

For the firmware issue you mentioned, it’s a few very minor fixes.
The version you used is very new and can be used directly. github is mainly for open source enthusiasts who can customize their own firmware for use.
And dropbox fixed some logging issues caused by some light sensor units in earlier (mainly pre-2023.4) versions.

By now, your current firmware is good and we tested it on top of several hundred radars.

What is the range and angle of view for the device?

there are some pics form hlk’s document.

I plan to install it in a bathroom, so lights turn on when presence and low light.
There’s a shower with a cristal wall and I plan to maintain lights on when showering.
Does this sensor detect presence through a cristal? This cristal is two meters away from the wall where I’m thinking of installing the device. Cristal is 1cm thick.
Another thing is humidity. Does it affect it so much?
Thanks!

Just got and installed one of these and so far it’s fantastic! I did have to download the HLKRadarTool app to tweak the sensitivity some since it’s installed inside a cabinet in a small bathroom. I’ll probably have to do some more testing, but so far I’m extremely impressed!

1 Like

we test glass,it’s fine.

this is a test video: Screek 1U Radar glass test, it works quite well, the thickness of the glass is around 2-3cm, and can detect human activity behind the glass. | Screek Workshop | | Reels