What can I do with the new 'image' entity integration?

HA 2023.7 introduced the new ‘Image’ integration and associated ‘image’ entity, but the documentation is spectacularly unhelpful in working out what I can actually do with this new entity type.

I vaguely understand that an ‘image’ is a subset of the ‘camera’ entity type, but what service calls can I make on an ‘image’ entity? I’ve only encountered this entity type because one of the integrations I use has recently changed from using a ‘camera’ entity to using an ‘image’ entity, and I had some automations tied in to using the ‘camera.snapshot’ service call to make a local copy of said image.

How can I save a copy of the image provided by an ‘image’ entity? Can I access the local path provided by the ‘image’ entity?

You can look in Developer Tools → Services for any new image services. But according to the documentation (which is empty), there are none (because it would be listed there). So you’ll have to come up with a new way to save the image as a new file.

Hey
Having the exact same issue here. Did you come up with a solution?

/D

There’s a service that is coming soon that does this.

1 Like

yeah struggling with the same issue right now.
Do we know when that service will arrive?

after it’s reviewed and merged. There’s no time table for these things, when they happen they happen.