What can't I get my mailbox reporting correctly! Grrrrr

So I’ve tried a few iterations of trying to get my open/close sensor to work for my mailbox.

The latest iteration is a Zooz 800 open/close sensor, with a Zooz ZAC38 range extender plugged in on the same pillar as the mailbox.

My driveway isn’t that long, but it’s super steep and the open/close sensor alone can’t reach the house. The ZAC38 is able to report back to the house no problem, but that’s only when it’s on! The outlet on the mailbox pillar is connected to a smart switch, which also controls all the outside lighting, and only turns on after dark. The ZAC38 has a backup battery, and it is great - lasts almost two days - but doesn’t report back when on battery mode.

So my setup right now works in theory, but I need to do something about missing reports when on battery mode. Is there anything I can do to force send/receive when on battery mode?

If you are using Z-Wave JS UI you can setup static routes that always go through the repeater.

Thanks. I just made the switch to UI last week, and I’m not very familiar with it. I just looked at the graph>[node] to check out the route, and it already goes from the repeater to the controller. Is that what you’re talking about? Does it make sense to set this as a priority route?

I’m also wondering if I just need to wake the repeater or keep it awake? Not sure how to do that or if it is even possible.

I’m 99% sure the ZAC38 device is an always on device and It doesn’t need to be woken up even when on battery power. You can check in the control panel to confirm this. If you see a plug in the power column while on battery then the device is always on.

Yes, that’s correct. I wonder why it responds fine when mains power is on, and doesn’t respond when on battery?

I have no clue. Try setting the static routes and see if that fixes it. It’s the only thing I can think of.

Ask Zooz if that device still acts as a router when on battery. My guess is it doesn’t or does so at a reduced power level. You may be able to plug it into a small UPS.

1 Like

if you ask Zooz, don’t mention that you use Home Assistant. They will blame HA instead of helping you troubleshoot.

1 Like

I did ask Zooz, and this is what they told me:

"All mains-powered Z-Wave devices are signal repeating devices while on mains power. If a unit is on battery power, it is no longer a signal repeating device, as this would drain the battery completely within a matter of hours.

The ZAC38 will work like any other mains powered device, and it will repeat signal while on mains power. The device has a backup battery in order to provide power outage notifications, not to act as a range extender while on battery power here."

So, I think the only way to fix this would be to constantly ping the device maybe? But that would likely drain the battery. Not sure there is a solution to this.

1 Like

You won’t be able to ping it while it is on battery power. You’ll need to find a way to get it on a permanent power source or run it off of a UPS.

1 Like

I’ve had a mailbox open/close sensor at 2 different houses, and in both cases I needed to install a powered z-wave outlet on the outside of the house in order to get the signal repeated into the house. I take the outside electrical outlet closest to the mailbox and replace it with an Ecolink DWZWAVE25 outlet which has one switched outlet and one always-on, with a weatherproof cover. The switched outlet controls a transformer for my landscape lighting. Both houses had block exterior walls and that’s the only way I could get the signal through the wall.

1 Like

The contact sensor is unable to reach the controller directly?

1 Like

Yes, that’s correct. I is going through 2 repeaters to reach the controller.

1 Like

Ah, two repeaters, a bit more challenging then.

Another option would be to try Long Range (assuming you’re using a supporting controller) when that’s released. Z-Wave JS UI has a test build already, and the Z-Wave JS developer returns from leave at the beginning of April, which means LR support should be coming soon officially. Given the description of your environment though, I’m not sure LR is even good enough, but another option to try.

1 Like

I have a Zooz ZEN17 Relay that runs on DC Voltage. I was able to power it using a USB battery pack. Seeing that quote makes me wonder if it acts as a repeater considering it draws little to no power. If it does it might be a good solution for you. Will test this theory out when I can.

1. I have heard people talk about LoRa for its long range but I have never used it.
  2. I have tested Z-Wave Long Range and it works as advertised. I tested it using my ZEN37 remote and the Z-Wave PC Controller software and was able to get 1300ft range with obstacles in the way. Its easy to setup and test if you want to test it out in your own environment. Also you need a 700 series or 800 series controller.

What battery pack did you use for the Zen17? Were you able to confirm if it acts as a signal repeater on battery? How long do you get on battery?

I have a 700 series controller. In the house the network is great, but my driveway is super steep - it’s essentially going through a 10+ feet of concrete and dirt, so I think that’s the issue with the range.

Yes I was able to get the ZEN17 to act as a repeater on battery. I was able to get 1200ft range using my ZEN37 remote.

As long as the battery pack outputs 5v any one will do. I am using a SL-VBD96. It’s an old 9600mAh camera battery that I had lying around that conveniently has a USB port for powering stuff. I have tested the ZEN17 and it can be powered from any USB port. I also was able to power it using the USB port on my router.

As far as battery life goes I will have to do more testing. When I have it connected to my smart plug it reports 0.00W usage. The reason I say it draws little to no power is because I accidentally left it connected to the battery overnight. I had measured the voltage before and it was like at 7.6v and when I realized I left it on I measured it again and it was at 7.4 or something like that. I looked up the specs of the ZAC38 battery and it uses a 320 mAh battery.

This is what I used for my long range testing. The best thing about long range is your one controller can support a mesh and long range at the same time. This makes it perfect for scenarios like yours.