What causes an Alexa Throttling Exception?

Recently I’ve started getting this error a couple of times a day - not always about the same switches:

Logger: homeassistant.components.alexa.state_report
Source: components/alexa/state_report.py:104
Integration: Amazon Alexa (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 17:00:09 (2 occurrences)
Last logged: 17:50:00

Error when sending ChangeReport for switch.study_socket_3 to Alexa: THROTTLING_EXCEPTION: Request could not be processed due to throttling.
Error when sending ChangeReport for switch.living_room_socket_4 to Alexa: THROTTLING_EXCEPTION: Request could not be processed due to throttling.

I have a Home Assistant Cloud account with only 33 entities exposed to Alexa. No Alexa Media Player or integration.

I’m assuming the “throttling” occurs between Nabu Casa and Amazon and that something is generating spurious traffic - is that correct? Any idea what might be causing it?

1 Like

I’ve got the same issue. Only 21 exposed entities via nabucasa atm and lots of throttling errors for all lights and switches. Started a couple of weeks ago. Maybe with 2023.1, but not sure about that.

I have found one automation that was toggling switches unnecessarily, but the problem has not gone away. Like you, I am not certain that it started with 2023.1, but it is definitely recent.

Today it’s really piling on. 110 Errors since my last post 2hrs ago. Up until today i had 5-10 per day…

Nine in the last five hours, none in the 24 hours before that. I wonder if Amazon changed something at the beginning of the year?

Ok, seems like i’m one step further: I had a device, that was periodically going unavailable - seems like that led to todays spike in throttling errors. It’s a smart power strip integrated via localtuya from hacs. According to the web localtuya has issues with connection stability in the newest releases. I’ve downgraded that to a prior version which apparently stopped at least the burst of throttling errors. We’ll see if that solved the whole issue or if i’m just back to the 5-10 errors/day.
Maybe that helps - in my case the throttling errors are definitely caused - at least the majority, maybe all - by availability-problems.

I’ve been seeing same issues for last week or so. Seems to be the same handful of devices being mentioned in logs. Whilst they do appear to go offline occasionally, am surprised that would trigger throttling exceptions.
Would the device(s) mentioned in the logs be the ones causing the problem or simply be the first device to attempt the connection to Alexa after the throttling has already started?