What cpu are you using in your NUC?

hi @PackElend

on my case i didn’t go NUC but still on x86 solution and I suggest it compared to RPI-like SBC (in my case was RPI3B+).
I took a beelink N41 (N4100 celeron CPU + 4GB ram) which is rated to be a 6W TDP CPU hence consuming less power than 15/25W NUC options available.

If I had to do it again I would go same route but maybe looking for something with 6-8Gbyte ram to have a bit more slack.

Only thing you could miss wrt NUC is GPU power (CPU you are plenty enough) for image processing: i sorted it out with Google Coral stick and TensorFlow lite thanks to the job of @robmarkcole

1 Like

I have a NUC with a dual core Celeron J4005. It runs great.
I installed Ubuntu Mate on it - the 18.04 LTS
And then followed the normal procedure installing first docker-ce
And then Hass.io

In addition I run Mosquitto. Not in docker. I see no reason. Mosquitto can be installed by a simple apt installl mosquitto and the configuration adding a username and password is dead simple. I see no reason why I should make myself depending on Home Assistant running it as an addon.

Inside Home Assistant I do run a number of addons. Most important one is deconz for my zigbee stuff.

I installed the desktop version of Ubuntu Mate because setting fixed IP and other stuff is so convenient from a GUI. And if you are not logged into the GUI its CPU overhead is nothing to talk about.

I also run a Ubiquiti Unifi controller - also installed directly on the Ubuntu using apt. Again why should my Unifi controller not be working if I have a situation where HA will not start because of a broken release.

Having my MQTT and Unifi running outside Docker means they run along uninterrupted even if I have to stop HA. That is how I prefer things

What else… I have ssh daemon running in the Ubuntu host. I have a samba share daemon running so I can edit the HA config even when docker is dead.

You can run everything in docker and it is dead easy to install things as addons in hass.io
But the simple things like Mosquitto, Samba, ssh is actually so simple to setup that I prefer the good old way. That is my preference

One thing. As the previous maintainer of Motion and still a user with 7 cameras I say this!!
If you want to run Motion with out without Motioneye … then you need much more computer power than a Celeron.
I run Motion on a different computer with a fast 6 core i5. If you want to run many cameras at high speed and high resolution then you need CPU power to plow through every video frame looking at changed pixels after it has done a lot of filtering and identified and labelled and voted the areas of Motion. I know how much it takes. Especially when something moves in several of the cameras. For Motioneye running as an addon in HA with many cameras go for an i5 with 4 or more cores.

But just HA - a celeron at 2 GHz is more than enough. Even with 100+ devices and 1000s of event per day. A celeron is still much much faster than a Raspberry pi 4

A NUC with a Celeron or small i3 is great without Motion(eye)
A NUC running HA and Motion(eye) go for an i5 or i7

3 Likes

As I said, the i3 version. https://nucblog.net/2018/10/coffee-lake-nuc8i3beh-review/3/

1 Like

Mine is a 7th Gen i3

Why not just skip hass.io entirely, and just run the Home Assistant container on native docker on Ubuntu or something? That’s what I do with great success. I run mosquitto in a container (and a number of other fairly trivial containers, some home-built) just to make dependency management easier to deal with.

In particular, it’s really great to have all the Ubiquiti stuff isolated in a container since it’s got a bunch of stuff going on in there. LIkewise with Shinobi and influx and gafana – i just want to avoid dependency management hell.

As I’ve mentioned before, I have a fanless, SSD-based NUC-like clone that runs all this stuff. No moving parts, more reliable. Stuff that moves is stuff that breaks.

1 Like

FYI

is answered in Does HA prevent a HDD go idle?

hass.io is promoted to handle all add-ons, dependency and so on. So that get me to the question, it is easy to manage? Where to pay extra attention?

Woody4165 I have my HASSIO on the promox as well but I am new to the inner workings of the command line. How did you create the file.py, is there some place it needs to go? And how do you do the cron jobs in the tab? Just like you show it? I really need to get this temp and cpu information up and running since it will not let me pull it with the command cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone_1/temp or 0 for that matter. Thanks

It’s all written in my post.
I created the py file in /root with nano and with the chmod command I made it executable.
You can create it also in /home or other folder, the important is that you then reference it in crontab

Then you edit crontab with -e option and add the the two lines and restart crontab with sudo service cron restart

1 Like

Using a NUC8i7BEH, running Proxmox with MotionEye and other add-ons.

Ok thanks Woody I was not 100% sure on running the commands. Thanks again.

Woody,

I got it all setup like you showed with MQTT user and password to my server. How do I know if it is working?  I do not see any data being pulled into the MQTT. Is there something more I need to do to make it show that data? I did a package to pull the CPU temp using the  cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone_1/temp since that seems to be the one that shows a temp of 42000 and the temp0 shows a -  263200 value. So how do I pull this cron job information into HA?  Thanks a bunch for this it is the only thing I can get to monitor on the system. I tried to install Netdata application on the NUC but no joy there.

Do you have mosquitto installed on the instance you’re running the py file?
You can check executing mosquitto_pub and if it works just double check the MQTT credentials.
You should see in MQTT…

The MQTT is running on a VM on Proxmox under HASSIO addons I put the IP, Username, and Pass to it but it is not showing up in the MQTT section of HA. Does this have to run on Proxmox or the VM because the file is in the root of the Proxmox server not the VM.

I have it as Hasio addon and it’s working perfectly.
I have the addon called MQTT and Web Client or something similar.

Then if you want to execute the MQTT publish (via mosquitto_pub) from Proxmox (not from the VM with Hassio), you need to install moquitto also there, at least the client part

Can you run the cron job in the VM using the file.py? If so I can move it there but did not know if you can do that in the HA VM. I know the commands are limited in the shell. Also in the crontab I put it in as below correct?

• /root/file.py
          • (sleep 30 ; /root/file.py )

Now on the IP for the MQTT do I need to put a port number? XX.XX.XX.XX:1883 or 1884?

Of course you can run it in the VM, but I don’t know if the values are the same that you can get directly on Proxmox…

That is what I was thinking too since that information would come directly from the server of Proxmox. So I followed your instructions and put it in the root folder. Did the Crontab like you had it by copying and pasting it to the bottom of the Crontab and then restarted service. Now in the file I only put the IP of the MQTT host, username, and password for the MQTT server. I checked the MQTT logs but I do not see the pub coming from the Proxmox server at ip 192.168.1.3 to HA 192.168.1.4. I would think it would show up under the log files.

Try to use an MQTT client, like MQTT Explorer, configure with the MQTT server and credentials and you will see all the MQTT messages

Ok I liked in MQTT Explorer and did not see them so ran the file.py script in the shell and I got this but the IP address is correct as well as username / password (I removed the real ones).

mosquitto_pub -h 192.168.32.4 -u mqtt -P 123456789 -t topic/cputemp -m $temp
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

The pointer is under the 8 of the 168 in the address. It does not come out when I post it.

Its trying to work but does not like that IP or do I need the port too?

Does mosquitto_sub work?