What data do you collect and display with InfluxDB + Grafana?

Not to detract from this great guide, but what if some of us shared the type of data you collect and display - I’ll go first

• KwH per fuse on a bar graph
  • Data from my weather station
  • Air quality data
  • TV usage data
  • Nest heating usage and hot water
  • Hot water tank top and bottom temp difference

Please share your ideas

Screenshots

3 Likes

I was poking at Grafana earlier today and was wondering what data other people found useful on their setups. Awesome idea to make a post.

Where are you sourcing your air quality data?

Thanks mate!

I have an Arduino with some air quality sensors but they MQTT to Home Assistant

@Robbrad Apologies this is slightly off topic, but noticed on your Grafana dashboard that you are tracking Hot water. Are you using the Nest to turn on and off your hot water and track it in Home Assistant. I didn’t think Nest had exposed the Hot Water control in the API, lots of people complaining about it for years.

Your Dashboard looks great, keep intending to setup InfluxDB & Grafana but never get time.

Sharp eyes! Your right about Nest :cry:

I track the temps using a NodeMCU and two surface temp sensors.

I’ll share how I did the Nest integration in another post and tag you - warning it’s not pretty. You will need Linux and php. It uses the PHP reverse engineering api https://github.com/rdiver/nest-php-api-hot-water. The issue I had was it hammered Nest and I got blocked momentarily - so I had to throttle my calls to the api.

This panel contains

• Top of hot water tank temperature
  • Bottom of hot water tank temperature
  • Temp difference of these
  • Shower pump switch
  • Boost time remaining sensor
  • Nest hot water sensor
  • Boost hot water switch

1 Like

Nice dashboard! I recently tried creating something similar but noticed that my graphs are not very pretty. It seems that HA is not reporting changes often enough for a graph to be created. Anyway you could share your dashboard so I can see what I could be doing wrong?

Here’s an example:

03%20PM

You need to setup a history statistics sensor in Home assistant like this

- platform: history_stats
    name: Heating On Today
    entity_id: sensor.entryway_thermostat_hvac_state
    state: 'heat'
    type: time
    start: '{{ now().replace(hour=0).replace(minute=0).replace(second=0) }}'
    end: '{{ now() }}'

And the Grafana config should look like this

2 Likes