What do I need to buy? LAN wire to garden - plug into "thing" to extend wifi

Hi, this should be easy, but I simply can’t figure out what do I need to buy. I had a google wifi point in the shed in the garden and it fails. It’s defective and I’m trying to find something cheaper (and I want to have this thing burn in hell all the madness it caused me).

• From my home, I have a long, working lan cable all the way to my shed.
  • I want to plug this lan cable as input into a “thing” that will then extend my existing wifi.
  • I can’t seem to find this or I’m stupid. They all explain the reverse, wifi-to-lan.
  • It doesn’t need speed, it’s jsut to cover my devices in the shed (all tuya for that purpose)

What “thing” should I buy for this?

Help?

I use three of those around here, they do exactly, what you are asking. Never failing on me…
https://fritzshop.nl/repeater/891-fritzrepeater-2400.html

Just get an access point - I have a tp-link wall plate eap115 installed in my shed.you can get tp-link n300 this is a waterproof so you can have it outside.
Do not buy wifi repeater if you have a lan cable available

You can use most old wifi routers for this. You don’t even need one with 5ghz, just need 2.4ghz for your devices. If you don’t have an old one from your ISP you can get one dirt cheap of eBay. Just Google the device to see if it can be used as access point.

If you did look at, what I had posted, you will find out, that some manufacturers call it a repeater anyway.
Like the one I’ve posted. It’s called a repeater, but it does both possible situations:
WiFi → WiFi - repeater
LAN->WiFi - accespoint
:wink:

Hi Ikeays.
As others have said, you just need a WiFi access point (AP) with a LAN (RJ45) cable point on it, which most will have. However, I’d suggest getting one that’s also
a) Waterproof, ideally outdoor suitable - and ok for low temperatures too if that applies. Watch condensation issues, especially with mains items.
b) PoE power-able. That will mean you don’t need to mains power it. Just need a PoE power adapter (or a PoE router) at the home end. PoE is max of 50V dc, so its safer than mains. However, if your LAN cable is long (>50 m. say) then PoE may not be practical - too much power loss.
If you’re using mains power then I’d advise getting an electrician’s advice too for safety.
Strictly you should use outdoor LAN cable too, if not already, to minimise weathering, etc. And keep it at least 50 cm away from mains cables to minimise interference (and never in the same conduit run).
Finally, be aware that WiFi APs almost always have a preferred transmission direction, so the way you face it matters. It’s documentation ought to give you a signal strength diagram or web search it.

Best wishes. IanBJ

Thank you all for the responses.

My house has google wifi which was not working in the garden (via a lan cable) as I mentionned. While obsessing trying to find a used router, I found a used googe wifi puck which I bought. And… it still didn’t work. I was going mad. Full bars in the house, zero beside the wifi puck in the shed - but with a google status that all had “excellent connections”.

Long story short, it seems that for this darn annoying stupid google thing (which gives you no access to any form of data or log - even finding a mac adress is a hour long ordeal)… the points have to be at least close enough to talk to each other over wifi. By moving one of my house’s wifi point to the window towards the shed, bang, I suddently got full wifi aross the entire garden and beyond - the point in the shed “woke up”.

I do regret that purchase (very early adopter a long time ago) but it’s working now.

Thanks.

P.S. Turns out my original wifi point wasn’t defective either… It litterally worked for 6 YEARS without fail and this summer, it decided to be fussy).