What features do you care about most? (This is the poll the push notification mentioned!)

Looking for a little direction and input from beta testers around what features you most care about in the iOS app.

• Location tracking/updating
  • iBeacon support (which also would enable in-home location tracking, aka knowing when you enter/leave a room in your home)
  • Push notifications
  • Controlling devices (This is a big one to tackle because of all the device types that Home Assistant supports, and is a bit of a challenge UI wise, but i’m up for anything :slight_smile: )
  • A Today widget
  • An Apple Watch app (most likely starting with a complication)
  • On device automations (i.e. being able to trigger events in Home Assistant via a URL like homeassistant://event_name?event_data=foobar
  • Device automations. I don’t have a better name for this right now, but it’s things like firing events to Home Assistant when a new contact is added. Let’s say that anything that the IFTTT iOS app can do are things that I can do, and a little more.

0 voters

Let me know if there is something on here that you don’t see but want as a feature.

Voted!

For me, reliable presence and notifications are the priority - that enables me to ditch a couple of other apps, and also integrate nicely with HA’s Zones.

An Apple Watch app would be cool, but not as high a priority - in my last HA system the only really useful thing I used my watch for was the equivalent of running scripts (and then just to open and close my garage to impress my friends), so I would prefer to see a simple interface to scripts/scenes rather than any particular status info on my watch.

I am intrigued by iBeacon support but haven’t played with this yet, so its probably a thing I would take a look at as/when it became available in the iOS app. One thought on that - is it possible to make iBeacons work eith the Apple Watch rather than the phone? I am guessing not at this stage but that seems like a more useful thing given that I wear my watch but don’t always carry my phone around the house.

@aimc Thanks for voting!

Agreed on reliable presence and notifications. Notifications are very solid now, location got a massive upgrade with build 23 but still can use some work.

As for the Apple Watch, I don’t expect to ship an app for a while. However, I am thinking about shipping a complication as well as an improved notification screen for Apple Watch.

iBeacons can work with Apple Watch :). There’s already a home automation app that does exactly what you want, and I plan to add similar functionality to the app. I think the coolest part of iBeacon (for me at least) is going to be determining what room you are in so you can start doing room level automations instead of whole home (or having to put motion sensors up everywhere).

Aha! Now that sounds exciting :slight_smile: Might have to buy the wife an Apple Watch now …

Bringing the UI in line with the web UI would be my biggest request.
Badges, sliders, media-now-playing etc…

Good work though! I’m using it more and more.

Have to agree with you. The UI is a little underwhelming. It needs to => than the web interface.

Thirded - if I had to choose just one it would definitely be a similar experience to the web WRT viewing and controlling devices.

I think the UI has the highest priority and on the other hand is the most difficult one.

BTW I did a prototype for an home automation system, last semester at the university. Nothing really working, just a prototype to show what the UI should be capable of. @robbiet480 if you want those infos and/or want some help, just say it.

@thejacko12354 I’ll take any and all input about a UI, thanks :slight_smile:

I actually moved to HA from OpenHab BECAUSE of the UI. I see there is some progress on an android app for OpenHab but I have fallen in love with HA so I’m staying :stuck_out_tongue:

Here are some ideas from that app, just for reference. I am also an iOS programmer so I know those components may be a bit difficult to implement but hey, we can still look! :grin:

to be honest, real estate aside, that first one actually wouldn’t be too bad on native iOS… looks ripe for a UIStackView with just a small amount different templates…

I’m a native iOS dev too, wish I had the time to help :\

1 Like

UI + 1

You might not like this, but what about leaving the UI of the website inside an embedded browser and put all your extra’s in the background (i.e. non UI).

That way if alternate UI’s come to HA then it will be easy to just adjust settings and pick from multiple UI’s or skins.

Just a thought…

Where do I vote for Android support? :slight_smile:

Nice job so far! If there’s a way to collaborate more just ask, I couldn’t find a github repo for this project so I guess you don’t plan to make it open-source, right?

Voted for improving the device control (colors, faders) but also would like to have some apple watch app for quick scene changing (siri through homebridge is not reliable imo).

Regards,

Luiz

Notification Center widgets would be really nice to have. I’d like to specify which devices I could put on the notification center so I could quickly see the temperature in a room or turn off a light.