What in the world could possibly be filling up my disk

Hello! I kept trying to ask this today and kept getting distracted. My setup includes ESPresense. Neat program, works awesome for what I need it for now that I have modified the sensors a bit as show here: Building a better ESPresense. Question about sensor templates [SOLVED] - #2 by Pronown .

Now my question is, what in the world could possibly be filling up my disk? When ESPresense devices are active, my disk just starts to FILL up at a RAPID. Nothing I’ve done reclaims the space either. I’ve tried to purge both parts of the recorder and have been clearing DB frequently, shouldn’t that reclaim my disk space? Only thing I could think these ESPs are affecting is logs from the consistent stream of information coming in from the ESPs, so why wouldn’t I get my disk space back upon clearing and purging?

I changed your title to better reflect your post - it doesn’t look like the question is really anything to do with MQTT.

Clearing the DB doesn’t automatically re-pack it AFAIK.

You need to tell us how you’re running HA.

I know that with Home Assistant OS there is a directory that is “hidden” from UI and stores incomplete backups, interrupted backups, bad addon installations, and the only way to clear this is to SSH into the box on a special port so you can access the overlay directory.

Not saying that’s your issue, but depending on how you run HA, could be…

@Tinkerer The reason I saw this as an MQTT question is because they communicate via MQTT. If it is only filling while they are active, it has to be related to the MQTT signal being received in some way.

@pickerin wait… I can SSH into an OS build? HOW?!

I am running HA OS on Pi400.

Version	core-2022.7.2
Installation Type	Home Assistant OS
Development	false
Supervisor	true
Docker	true
User	root
Virtual Environment	false
Python Version	3.10.5
Operating System Family	Linux
Operating System Version	5.15.32-v8
CPU Architecture	aarch64
Timezone	America/Denver
Configuration Directory	/config
Home Assistant Community Store
GitHub API	ok
GitHub Content	ok
GitHub Web	ok
GitHub API Calls Remaining	4317
Installed Version	1.26.0
Stage	running
Available Repositories	1077
Downloaded Repositories	108
AccuWeather
Reach AccuWeather server	ok
Remaining allowed requests	39
Home Assistant Cloud
Logged In	true
Subscription Expiration	July 25, 2022 at 6:00 PM
Relayer Connected	true
Remote Enabled	true
Remote Connected	true
Alexa Enabled	true
Google Enabled	true
Remote Server	
Reach Certificate Server	ok
Reach Authentication Server	ok
Reach Home Assistant Cloud	ok
Home Assistant Supervisor
Host Operating System	Home Assistant OS 8.2
Update Channel	stable
Supervisor Version	supervisor-2022.07.0
Agent Version	1.2.1
Docker Version	20.10.14
Disk Total	238.0 GB
Disk Used	15.7 GB
Healthy	true
Supported	true
Board	rpi4-64
Supervisor API	ok
Version API	ok
Installed Add-ons	Samba share (10.0.0), Portainer (1.5.0), Spotify Connect (0.12.1), Mosquitto broker (6.1.2), File editor (5.3.3), Terminal & SSH (9.6.0), Home Assistant Google Drive Backup (0.108.2), Glances (0.16.0), AdGuard Home (4.6.0), Plex Media Server (3.0.0), Grocy (0.18.2), InfluxDB (4.5.0), motionEye (0.18.0), Uptime Kuma (0.1.0), Studio Code Server (5.1.2), room-assistant (2.20.0), diyHue (2.0.4)
Dashboards
Dashboards	4
Resources	72
Views	11
Mode	storage
Recorder
Oldest Run Start Time	July 9, 2022 at 3:53 AM
Current Run Start Time	July 9, 2022 at 3:22 PM
Estimated Database Size (MiB)	174.29 MiB
Database Engine	sqlite
Database Version	3.38.5

ssh root@homeassistant -p 22222

The directory I found was: /mnt/data/supervisor/tmp

Sorry, a little bit inexperienced with SSH on OS instead of docker install. But… don’t you have to do something specific to enable root access?

CMD, tried how you put it, then tried replacing homeassistant with my instance name:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ssh root@homeassistant -p 22222
ssh: Could not resolve hostname homeassistant: No such host is known.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ssh root@prohome -p 22222
ssh: connect to host prohome port 22222: Connection refused

Home assistant Terminal:

Putty also refuses connection to prohome.

It seems in the terminal the results are reversed.

This is right, I forgot how you have to enable it:

TL;DR, you have to install your valid public key on the host for the ‘root’ user, then it’ll work.

Thank you, I’ll have to try this later. Last time I tried I got stuck making the key.

Lemme know if you need help. If you’re using SSH you already have a key pair. They’re probably stored in a .ssh or ssh_keys directory. There will be one called id_rsa and another called id_rsa.pub. The contents of the pub one is your public key.

I’ve only used SSH on the non OS before. Does that matter?

Not sure what that means.
Also, if you’re not sure what you’re doing, you may not want to do this. That said, this is how to create keys and once you have keys, you can then use that other article to put them on your server.

Thanks for the links!

I’ve been doing most of this for a few years, it’s just little pieces of how things work that I’ve missed. No degrees or anything, but most of this is really easy to just look up and do. SSH into a pi running debian and HA Supervisor - easy, SSH into HA OS - not easy. I had actually originally switched to Supervisor on my Pi3b+ because I needed SSH and access to docker. I’m running this one solely for HA, so I went with OS, I wanted a “supported” install (not really sure why) and kept running into walls trying to install Bullseye straight up without Raspbian. (The 400 was a better price than a 4gb 4, I know I don’t need the keyboard built in for OS). The main reason I went OS is because I couldn’t get a 64 bit install to work any other way and from what I understand you can only get things like VSCode and a few others on 64 bit.