What is the best hardware combo for Home Assistant + Zwave (running on ESXi 6.x)?

I’m currently running Axial Control on a Windows 7 virtual machine with an Aeon Labs Z-Stick Series 2 via passthrough on ESXi 6.0 which works fine, but I’d like to migrate this to Home Assistant.

I’m currently running Hassio (ResinOS) on an Intel NUC DN2820FYKH, but the Z-Stick is not being detected. Only seems to work on my RPi3, but I’d like more power and not have to run the RPi3 as I have an ESXi host already.

I’d like to run ESXi 6.5 or 6.7 with Zwave on an Intel NUC D54250WYKH. Am I better off upgrading to the Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5? Anyone running successfully ESXi 6.x + Z-Stick Gen 5 with Hassio(HossOS)?

Yes, I ran hassio as ubuntu guest on esxi 6.x
Stick connected via USB passthrough. Worked well.

But I think my host is old, at least 6 years, and there is a world of difference between it and running ha on a modern i7 desktop with ubuntu server installed, so no virtual machine. I don’t care about reboot times but a script to turn on lights from movement takes noticablly longer as VM guest then desktop, so much so that I am no longer using it and run off desktop.

Thanks I’ll give it a try, otherwise I’ll just use RPi3 for a dedicated Hass device, RPi3 is just a little sluggish compared to a dedicate NUC and having Hass as a VM seems to be better than running it on RPi3.

I have a NUC7i5BNH (16GB RAM, 500GB NVME SSD) with ESXi 6.7 on it. I use a VM with Ubuntu 18.04, and Home Assistant in a venv. I have an aeon labs aeotec gen 5 z-wave USB stick connected to the NUC and added it as a USB device to the VM.

Works like a charm!! Mucht (very much) better performance than my old install on a RPI 3.

I also have a InfluxDB/Grafana VM running on the NUC. Home Assistant is logging al the data to it. Also superb performance.

For Zigbee (mainly Xiaomi sensors, and later on will migrate all Tradfri lights to it) I use the old RPI as Deconz Gateway.

Okay, it did cost a bit more than just a raspberry ---- about 650 euro’s. Could be cheaper if I chose a NUC7i3BNH instead of the i5 version. And it would also work fine with just 8GB of RAM and a normal SATA SSD, instead of a NVME one.

I do also use it for other VMs (also runs pfSense, Docker, Some Windows…)… So it’s quite powerfull.

1 Like