What is the best OpenWRT router for home automation?

Hi there,

I am looking to replace my Linksys WRT3200ACM running OpenWRT with something more modern.
What is the best solution considering that 95% of my devices are on the 2.4ghz network and the house is about 100sqm on one level only?
I’m open to anything - ideally it should have external antennas connectors - but that’s just a plus.

Thanks!

It depends on the budget you have to work with and the region you are in, these are factors people need in order to make applicable suggestions.

Also, there is no AP that is specifically better as serving for HA then other apps/devices.
You are also somewhat limiting your choices because of sticking to OpenWRT.

As Robert is stating, it’s also a matter of budget & region.
Are you also using the router function or just WiFi from OpenWRT?
I would advice to search for a setup that is capable of setting up a powerful WiFi network with the coverage I need and not combine it with my router.

Thank you everyone! I budget is 250€, region is Europe. Is 250€ is not enough for something almost at the top, I’m willing to increase to 350€ - if it really makes a difference.

You could ask this question in the OpenWrt forum
Hardware Questions and Recommendations - OpenWrt Forum

Lots of users with the same device to be replaced, lots of knowledgable OpenWrt forum users ready to help.

2 Likes

GL-iNet (and others) sell routers and APs with a version of OpenWrt pre-installed. I use the Broome 2 router, which does not have WiFi (because I prefer my APs to be separate from my router) but they make all-in-one units too. The OpenWrt version is customized, but can still be modified and the hardware is often supported by OpenWrt mainline in the following release.

1 Like

Buy a cheap 1L PC with dual nic and run opnsense

Hi, they are looking for a replacement of their WiFi network, not a router.

1 Like