What is the preferred way to rename z-wave entities?

So, in my situation, would you remove all of them or one by one?

Honestly, I don’t know as i’ve never been in your situation. Do they every sporadically work after restarting?

I would say that 2 out 3 work most of the time. They are for my outdoor lighting. The fourth one (the one farthest from the house) is rarely used, mostly just sitting in the state it is in.

Try getting a map when they are all working. That would be where I start. Then get a map when they aren’t working.

Take a look at this thread:

I believe there is also a Lovelace version.

Thanks, I think I have seen that thread, but never attempted to add it to my setup. I will revisit this when I have enough time to figure out how to install it in hass.io.

an easier way to create the z-wave map is with this:

It’s as easy as copying a file and a few lines of code to include the panel in the front end.

2 Likes

I was trying to find this solution when I was messaging. Thanks for sharing.

I will definitely try this one out, thanks!

I too would like to add my frustration. Previously when adding new z-wave devices I did the “rename-deleteRegistry-restart” method which resulted in the zwave entities being called “zwave.kitchenlight” and the individual elements being called “switch.kitchenlight” and “sensor.kitchenlight_power”, “sensor.kitchenlight_energy”…etc.

I’ve just added 5 new Z-Wave devices and named them. The rename of the zwave element doesn’t propogate down to the individual sensors/switches:

(note that for example, these nodes all have a “correct” zwave.some_real_name, but all their sensors are named with an increasing number. Worse, if I lose my entity_registry (or whatever it is in the storage), the numbers will all change.

Each node has 13 individual elements. Now, I get to edit 65 elements by hand…:roll_eyes:

I’m not sure how I can help fix this, but man this is broken and needs a fix :frowning:

Has anyone discovered how to acutally set the node_name of the zwave device?

Old (from ~0.66 or so)

New (from 0.84.6)

Edit Shortly after posting:

There seems to be no way to do it through the Z-Wave manager GUI, but you can do it like this:

3 Likes

Will join the choir of "not very happy about this solution "…
Have six Greenwave Powernode 6 - including one results in 31 new entries - and due to the way it’s coded in OZW the naming is awful - and if you delete the entity registry and all six are “re-included” in Hass, it’s absolutely impossible to gain any kind of overview…

My workaround:
Z-wave devices are always included via OZW Control Panel - and renamed there.
Afterwards, names are further edited in the xml-file - that leaves only some 15-20 minutes of hard work for each (editing the registry file still, though)…

A “rename all” function would really be a giant leap forward…

2 Likes

This works for me!

Rename using the Service Dev Tool (i presume it gets changed in the zwave DB), delete the zwave_*.xml and the core.config_entries, core.device_registry and core.entity_registry files (might not be all needed, just to be sure) and reboot. All the files get regenerated and now the naming of the zwave device and all the sensors get a new name. BREAKING if you have automations, etc.

I had a corrupt SD card, tried to get a backup restored but that failed. Copied over the config files but that renames most of my zwave devices. Some with a given name, some with the default name. As you might guess that breaks the GUI and all automations. Hope this fixes that for future migrations.

2 Likes

a year in to the new “entity registry” system and we are still dealing with this issue by manually editing and deleting system files. looks like the new system is working great. :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Ok, then its time to ask for some good advice.

I have a HA system with 10 zwave devices. They have been happily running for almost six months. After a restart I could not find any of the devices in the configuration/Z-Wave Node Management/Nodes list. Restored an old zwcfg file, and got some back. Funny part here is that some of the entities of the devices that I actually got back is missing…

From the logs(OZW_log) I can see that all the missing z-wave devices is communicating with the stick.

Any suggestions?

Looks like what I had with the back-up. You don’t see them at all, or do you only show know / configured devices (lovelace does that i think) that might explain this? Some of my zwave devices had their name changed, some had not. No idea what part of the config is maintained in what file / DB, so I can’t be of a big help here.

I had the same problem after moving from Pi to NUC. Ended up rebuilding the whole Z-wave network. It did fix the issues but cost some time. But worth it, after trying all sorts of reboots, cleaning config files, excluding and including devices, heals, nothing worked.

I run HA under docker with mapped config folder on host machine. For upgrade just to be safe I create new folder on host and map to new docker container then copy all yaml files to this new folder. But now should I be copying .storage/core.* files to avoid loosing/changing entity names? If I don’t copy .storage files then HA changes entities name and breaks automation. Due to this each upgrade is becoming really bad and takes lots of time to fix it.
Any guidance will help a lot.
Appreciate it

Yes, you must copy everything in the config folder, there’s many other non-YAML files that you may need to copy too to avoid this.

1 Like

Thanks, make sense as there are few files which holds token or config of component. I was trying avoid system files like .HA_VERSION and .uuid etc. But yeah going forward I will prepare exclude list rather than include and may be exclude list will have at least .HA_VERSION file as I am not sure where the .uuid (looks like GUUID) is used.
Appreciate your reply, thanks

So whats the correct way now? Is it ok to change it in the UI with the new entity registry screen?
I added a new thermostat and its really hard to differentiate them because the have the same name but with numbers at the end.